Old July 19th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Neo Neo is offline

Default UCI interface(help)

Hi
I am trying to build a chess interface. Something simple. I
downloaded a few free programs like toga.

btw: I am doing this in Windows XP. Later I want to move it to java.
First I need something simple I can use to test with.

And another one Alex(written in VB, accepts UCI).

My interface loads the app in memory then I issue commands and get
back some data.

ex: I send 'uci/n' --- return is info about the program.
I send 'new' thinking the games starts new.
I send 'go' and I get ' info currmove e2e4 move 1 ' with lots of
data including depth.

I send 'stop' ... I don't think it really stops.

What I'd like to do is know what commands to start a new game, send a
move d2d4, and get the returned move back. I see a lot of moves but
how do I know which one is what the computer selected?

Also is there a way to ask the engine what was the last move? Or
determine all pieces on the squares to make sure I didn't get
something out of synch?

I read the Tim Mann page and a few others describing the UCI protocol
and winboard/xboard.

Can someone give me sample code or simple pseudo code.

I'd like to try it manually... example... can I run the engine (.exe)
from the command line, type in 'uci' enter and see what comes out like
this? For quick testing. I tried doing that first to see if I can
practice the protocol first before writing a bunch of code that isn't
logically correct.

Any Help/Advice is most appreciated