Old July 23rd 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis,alt.chess

Default Brian P Lafferty whines like a bitch

Mulfish wrote:
You might get one out of two, Brian.

Just looking at that sentence, I'd agree. But if you take it in the
context, iyou have to factor in that:

1. Brian volunteers for the FOC.
2. The credentials are discussed, and trustworthiness is mentioned as
a criteria.
3. Sam uses this as an opening to insult Gregory Alexander. That post
is not removed.
4. Hal T. opines on how Brian fits that criteria, beginning with the
statement Brian objects to and then gives the reasons he holds that
opinion.
5. Hal's statement is no worse than the statements that have been made
about Polgar, Truong, and Sloan during this election season. Given the
FOC orientation to allow almost anything (except for the word
"crapola") Hal's statement is no more offensive or punishable than
what we've seen before.

I see. So in your view it is not a violation of the AUG to call a
person untrustworthy. Can we now also call someone a liar? How about
conniving, crooked, deceitful, devious, dishonest, disloyal, dubious,
false,guileless, irresponsible, questionable, shady, sharp, shifty,
slippery, sneaky, treacherous, tricky, trustless, two-faced, two-
timing, unassured, undependable, unfaithful, unreliable.

The issue here is not so much the word, but the personal attack. As
the AUG states, "Don't attack others. Personal attacks on others will
not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view, record,
statements, and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ...
without insult and personal attack."

I take it that if someone here called you untrustworthy or dishonest,
you wouldn't have a problem with that under the AUG. Interesting. I'd
still disagree with you and support a complaint to the FOC.