Old March 20th 04, 12:23 PM
Yves Surmont

Default handhelds and chess programs

Hello all,

I'd like to know if some of you have good experiences with handheld
computers and chess programs.
Are the programs easy to install, can you save games and transfer them back
to your PC?
I might be looking for a Dell handheld with Fritz, Chess Tiger or Chess
Genius running on it.
What do I choose best: fastest processor and biggest RAM, or are there other
important things to look at first?
thx

--
http://users.pandora.be/yves.surmont/comp.htm

Old March 20th 04, 08:17 PM
Michael Byrne

"Yves Surmont" wrote in message ...
Hello all,

I'd like to know if some of you have good experiences with handheld
computers and chess programs.
Are the programs easy to install, can you save games and transfer them back
to your PC?
I might be looking for a Dell handheld with Fritz, Chess Tiger or Chess
Genius running on it.
What do I choose best: fastest processor and biggest RAM, or are there other
important things to look at first?
thx

First decide if you want a Palm or PocketPC - the Tiger program only
runs on the Palm, Fritz only runs on the Pocket PC and Genius is
available for both OS flavors.

For any chess programs, faster processor equals greater strength. I
have a Dell Axim and the processor is more than adequate for a PDA.
Fritz running on Dell 400 Mhz will play somewhere between 2450 to 2550
IMO. More than adequate for most people. Genius will also play at
greater than 2400+ level on the same machine IMO. I also believe a
native Tiger program running on a fast Arm Palm will also play greater
2400+ although I am extrapolating that from what I know about the
Tiger programs and reports I have read from the author with respect to
the speed pickup in going to native Arm.

Another importany consideration is what you are going to use the PDA
for besides chess. How are going to sync with your PC/MAC and what
programs will you sync. If you use a MAC, I would favor going to the
Palm. The PC will sync with the Palm or PocketPC very well. If you
expect to use MS Excel on your PDA and MS Outlook is your e-mail
program , I would favor going to the Pocket PC.

I have seen many Dell PDA's lately on eBay going for less than $200 -
that's a good deal IMO.