Old March 20th 04, 01:48 PM
Euclid

Default pagefile hash & tablebases (Shredder 8)

I've experimented extensively with these variables using Shredder 7/8 and
Windows XP Home. So far my best discovery is that reducing hash size
improves engine speed significantly when tablebases are being accessed
heavily. For example maximum hash for my 1GB machine is 784MB, which
ordinarily works OK, but as the endgame approaches engine speed drops
dramatically. Reducing hash size to 256MB generally helps this problem
greatly.

It takes awhile to figure out the overall effects of changes. They must be
tested on a wide variety of positions. Currently I'm testing a modification
of my pagefile. I've set it for 3GB maximum and 3GB minimum size, so it
remains at a constant 3GB size. That's no problem with my 120G hard drive
and 1GB installed RAM. So far it seems to work fine, after some initial
adjustments. There was some paging for awhile, but it has now settled down
and seems unusually quiet. At first the new big pagefile was fragmented so I
used a special utility to defrag it:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...gedefrag.shtml
I've set it to defrag on every restart of my computer, but don't know yet
how often it will be necessary. It took about 12 minutes to defrag my
pagefile the first time.
-E