Old August 9th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Schaeffer's paper online

[I've cross-posted this to rgc.misc and rgc.computer but set
follow-ups to the former, since this isn't about compuer chess as
such.]

Schaeffer, Burch, Bjornsson, Kishimoto, Mueller, Lake, Lu and
Sutphen's paper _Checkers is Solved_ (Science, 19th July 2007) is now
available free online at

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/rapidpdf/1144079v1.pdf

I've not had chance to read it, yet.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Adult Tree (TM): it's like a tree that
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ you won't want the children to see!
Old August 9th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

[Again, posted to rgc.misc and rgc.computer with follow-ups set.]

Kerry Liles wrote:
David Richerby wrote:
Schaeffer, Burch, Bjornsson, Kishimoto, Mueller, Lake, Lu and
Sutphen's paper _Checkers is Solved_ (Science, 19th July 2007) is now
available free online at

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/rapidpdf/1144079v1.pdf

It doesn't seem to be free (as in beer). When I click on that link,
I get a page recommending I subscribe to AAAS (American Association
for the Advancement of Science).

Oops -- sorry about that. The link I posted worked when I tried it
but I think I've worked out why that was. If you go to

http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~chinook/p..._checkers.html

and follow the link to the paper, it should work.

I would just like to thank _Science_ for the totally brain-dead idea
of making the article available for free but only if you follow the
correct link.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Portable Moistened Priest (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a man of the cloth but it's moist