Old August 13th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default GM Joel Benjamin got beat by Rybka .....

Rybka gave him a pawn in every game and still waxed him...

Old August 14th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Why should that surprise anyone? Rybka is rated 300+ points higher than
Benjamin.

Old August 14th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Internet Birder wrote:

SAT W-7 wrote...

Rybka gave him a pawn in every game and still waxed him...

Why should that surprise anyone? Rybka is rated 300+ points
higher than Benjamin.

It's really interesting for a lesser player like myself to
play against Rybka on a fast machine with enough pieces
taken away from Rybka to allow me to win about as often as
I lose. I won't say how many it takes, (being pretty much a
patzer who spends too much time studying engineering and
too little time studying chess), but I will say that it
is quite humbling. It also makes for a really fun game,
playing against an opponent who is so much better than I am
yet still having a reasonable chance of winning.

It's also interesting to play against a very weak computer
with enough of my own men missing to allow me to win about
as often as I lose. Fighting back against overwhelming
numerical odds yet still having a reasonable chance of winning
is another kind of fun. Both cases allow me to practice in
the kinds of positions I never see when playing OTB against
roughly equal human opponents.

--
Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/

Old August 15th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

It just amazes me how strong Rybka is to beat a GM at pawn odds ..
If Rybka took away a Knight do you think Rybka would win then ? Do
you think that mite be too much to give up vs a GM ? I would find it
interesting to watch....

Old August 15th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

SAT W-7 wrote:
It just amazes me how strong Rybka is to beat a GM at pawn odds ..
If Rybka took away a Knight do you think Rybka would win then ? Do
you think that mite be too much to give up vs a GM ? I would find it
interesting to watch....

I'd like to see Rybka vs GM + any other software the GM he/she wants.
Could a GM beat Rybka if he had Deep Fritz to help him? (I'm talking of
normal chess - not at pawn odds).

--
Dave (from the UK)

It is always of the form:

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database

Old August 15th 07, 09:04 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Aug 15, 3:40 am, "Dave (from the UK)" [email protected]
below.com wrote:
SAT W-7 wrote:
It just amazes me how strong Rybka is to beat a GM at pawn odds ..
If Rybka took away a Knight do you think Rybka would win then ? Do
you think that mite be too much to give up vs a GM ? I would find it
interesting to watch....

I'd like to see Rybka vs GM + any other software the GM he/she wants.
Could a GM beat Rybka if he had Deep Fritz to help him? (I'm talking of
normal chess - not at pawn odds).

The experiment would have to be done, but I suspect Deep Fritz might
still not be good enough. Mismatch between computer and GM playing
styles. I reckon Deep Shredder might give a GM a more sporting chance
against Rybka. Fritz is brilliant at tactics, but nearly blind to
certain structural factors that are important in GM level games.

Deep Fritz would prevent the GM making an obvious tactical blunder but
it probably would not help him to win. The only way to find out would
be to do the experiment. Any GMs want to fess up what actually
happened when they tried it?

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old August 15th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

below.com wrote:

SAT W-7 wrote:

[...]

I would have thought that the software most of use to the GM would be
one that is strongest where he is weakest. I've no idea about the
characteristics of Fritz/Shredder, but if what you say is true (Fritz
good at tactics, Shredder better in positional ideas), then I would have
thought Fritz would have been the more beneficial to the GM.

I think it would be an interesting experiment and neutral or good
publicity for Rybka. Nobody could fault the program if Rybka lost to the
GM + some other software, but it would rather leave egg on the face of
Chessbase if their software can't beat Rybka even with the help of a GM.
As such, I don't suppose its an experiment ChessBase would like to see,
since there is no possible way they could obtain any positive publicity
for it, but every chance they could obtain negative publicity.

IMHO, this sort of experiment would be more interesting than games with
pawn odds. But others no doubt have a different opinion.

Old August 20th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Dave (from the UK) wrote:
I'd like to see Rybka vs GM + any other software the GM he/she
wants. Could a GM beat Rybka if he had Deep Fritz to help him? (I'm
talking of normal chess - not at pawn odds).

My money would be with the GM. The GM understands positional nuances
better than Rybka does and whatever engine he's using will stop him
from making tactical errors.

Recall, for example, that Hydra didn't do all that well in the recent
human+computer tournaments and was beaten by even quite weak humans
with computer assistance.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Portable Technicolor Toy (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a fun child's toy but it's in
Old August 20th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Dave (from the UK) wrote:
I would have thought that the software most of use to the GM would
be one that is strongest where he is weakest. I've no idea about the
characteristics of Fritz/Shredder, but if what you say is true
(Fritz good at tactics, Shredder better in positional ideas), then I
would have thought Fritz would have been the more beneficial to the
GM.

Both Fritz and Shredder are, likely, better at tactics than most GMs.
It shouldn't reall matter which of the two is used.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Laptop Monk (TM): it's like a man of
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ God that you can put on your lap!