Old August 15th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Best engine for analysis?

I am hesitating between buying Fritz 10 or Rybka for my 4-processor
computer. I use chess programs mostly for analysis, and most of the time
for short times (say less than a minute). Which engine will give the
most accurate analysis in such cases? I know Rybka is stronger at normal
time limits, but is it more likely to find the best move?

Also can I use Rybka as an engine with the Fritz 9 interface? If so
would it use the multiple processors although my version of Fritz 9 is
not multiprocessor?

If not, is the Rybka interface (almost) as good as the Fritz interface?

Henri
Old August 15th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Henri Arsenault wrote:
I am hesitating between buying Fritz 10 or Rybka for my 4-processor
computer. I use chess programs mostly for analysis, and most of the time
for short times (say less than a minute). Which engine will give the
most accurate analysis in such cases? I know Rybka is stronger at normal
time limits, but is it more likely to find the best move?

Also can I use Rybka as an engine with the Fritz 9 interface? If so
would it use the multiple processors although my version of Fritz 9 is
not multiprocessor?

If not, is the Rybka interface (almost) as good as the Fritz interface?

As far as engines goes, Rybka is pretty cheap and it is the best, bar none.
Further, it will work fine with Fritz 9. It works plenty well at short time
control; especially if you have a dual-core, quad-core or mutliple CPU machine
as you indicated. Rybka is all I use until Chessbase puts out something that
beats it [and then I probably still won't use anything else as I am not that
good!].

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from the
machinations of the wicked.

Old August 15th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Henri Arsenault wrote:
I am hesitating between buying Fritz 10 or Rybka for my 4-processor
computer.

I would not hesitate - Rybka is the best by quite a margin.

I use chess programs mostly for analysis, and most of the time
for short times (say less than a minute). Which engine will give the
most accurate analysis in such cases? I know Rybka is stronger at normal
time limits, but is it more likely to find the best move?

I think Rybka is better than the rest at any time control.

Also can I use Rybka as an engine with the Fritz 9 interface?

Yes.

If so
would it use the multiple processors although my version of Fritz 9 is
not multiprocessor?

Yes.

If not, is the Rybka interface (almost) as good as the Fritz interface?

Rybka does not come with any interface at all. It is a command line
program supporting the UCI protocol. As such is must be used in an
interface.

Rybka does directly use an opening book - the interface must make the
opening moves from the opening book. The best opening book is designed
for the Fritz interface, so you would have an ideal combination.

Rybka is pretty cheap and I have found the support far better than I
found with Chessbase when I had problems with Pocket Fritz 2 following
their changes to server/database they host to look up games. I don't
have a great opinion of Chessbase.

Henri

--
Dave (from the UK)

It is always of the form:

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database
Old August 15th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

15.08.2007 14:58, Dave (from the UK):

I think Rybka is better than the rest at any time control.

Well, at least he was only second to Shredder (a full point behind) in
Blitz Chess at the last World Computer Chess Championship.

Greetings,
Ralf
Old August 15th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Henri:

I would be tempted to say that Rybka is the strongest practical engine but
maybe not the best one for analysis.
It has some known bugs (limits in underpromotion, does not always recognise
zugszwang ...)
See the Rybka forum for more on that.
Myself I prefer "balanced engines such as (Deep)Fritz (9 or 10) or (Deep)
Shredder (9 or 10) for analyzing games, studies...

Old August 15th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

that right Convekta always answer your question and you discuss with real
humans
i made the experence still last week
Ph Gaillard
rybka is very good
"Dave (from the UK)" a écrit dans le
message de news: ...

Old August 16th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Henri Arsenault wrote:
I am hesitating between buying Fritz 10 or Rybka for my 4-processor
computer. I use chess programs mostly for analysis, and most of the time
for short times (say less than a minute). Which engine will give the
most accurate analysis in such cases? I know Rybka is stronger at normal
time limits, but is it more likely to find the best move?

Also can I use Rybka as an engine with the Fritz 9 interface? If so
would it use the multiple processors although my version of Fritz 9 is
not multiprocessor?

If not, is the Rybka interface (almost) as good as the Fritz interface?

Henri

Fritz 10 has special features for training and analysis that are only
available through it's UI.

Rybka is said to make stronger moves from move 1, and has a generally
different style from Fritz.

Generally, you have to have a UI to go with Rybka and it works perfectly
fine in the Fritz UI. I have, and I suspect many use both programs, and
focus on areas where there is a significant difference of opinion
between the two programs.

Rybka tends to have the best results at short time intervals. But if
you are truly doing analysis, that is only really good for quick blunder
checking, and you can generally use any modern engine for that,
including very good free ones like fruit. The real benefit of using
any one specific program comes from depth.

That said, if you use engines, you have fritz, Rybka is really too
cheap, not to put into your arsenal.

Old August 16th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

In article ,
"Maple Tree" wrote:

One minute is not enough time for analysis of a game, you are just wasting
your time, you should know better than that Henri !

I was speaking of one minute for move...

Henri
Old August 16th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Thanks everyone for useful rfeplies.

I guess I will get Rybka to use with Fritz 9 on my Quad computer, and
maybe gt fritz 10 multi-processor later.