Old August 19th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default How long to email games from ICC?

I have my account on ICC configured so it emails me the games I play. I
played one yesterday [Time "09:06:34"]. I'm 5 hours in front of the time
of the ICC server, so that was 14:06 local time yesterday. Today I
receive the email from ICC, at 14:45 local time - just over 24 hours later.

Do others have this? I'm not sure if ICC are mailing the games late, or
my ISP is sending them to me rather late.
Old August 19th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 13:48:23 +0100, (in ), Dave
wrote:

I have my account on ICC configured so it emails me the games I play. I
played one yesterday [Time "09:06:34"]. I'm 5 hours in front of the time
of the ICC server, so that was 14:06 local time yesterday. Today I
receive the email from ICC, at 14:45 local time - just over 24 hours later.

Do others have this? I'm not sure if ICC are mailing the games late, or
my ISP is sending them to me rather late.

I guess the obvious thing to do in this case would be to check the headers
(I don't use Thunderbird, so not sure how to do that), and see if you can
trace a sticking point there. In my experience though, it's more likely to
be further downfield than ICS.

Stephan
--
Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC
Currently in Caernarfon, Wales
Old August 19th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:

I have my account on ICC configured so it emails me the games I play. I
played one yesterday [Time "09:06:34"]. I'm 5 hours in front of the time
of the ICC server, so that was 14:06 local time yesterday. Today I
receive the email from ICC, at 14:45 local time - just over 24 hours later.

Do others have this? I'm not sure if ICC are mailing the games late, or
my ISP is sending them to me rather late.

I guess the obvious thing to do in this case would be to check the headers
(I don't use Thunderbird, so not sure how to do that), and see if you can
trace a sticking point there. In my experience though, it's more likely to
be further downfield than ICS.

Stephan

Thank you for the suggestion. I suspect it is my ISP, but are not sure.
Old August 20th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Dave wrote:
I have my account on ICC configured so it emails me the games I play. I
played one yesterday [Time "09:06:34"]. I'm 5 hours in front of the time
of the ICC server, so that was 14:06 local time yesterday. Today I
receive the email from ICC, at 14:45 local time - just over 24 hours later.

Do others have this? I'm not sure if ICC are mailing the games late, or
my ISP is sending them to me rather late.

Look in the headers of your email program and find out where the delay
occurred [you can see every SMTP hop in the route from ICC to you]. I
normally receive email from ICC in seconds.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from the
machinations of the wicked.

Old August 20th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
Dave wrote:
I have my account on ICC configured so it emails me the games I play. I
played one yesterday [Time "09:06:34"]. I'm 5 hours in front of the time
of the ICC server, so that was 14:06 local time yesterday. Today I
receive the email from ICC, at 14:45 local time - just over 24 hours later.

Do others have this? I'm not sure if ICC are mailing the games late, or
my ISP is sending them to me rather late.

Look in the headers of your email program and find out where the delay
occurred [you can see every SMTP hop in the route from ICC to you]. I
normally receive email from ICC in seconds.

Thank you Thomas - I will do that.

Old August 24th 07, 09:10 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I played a e mail game a few times with a guy in England so he was 8
hours a head of me so he would move before and after work and i would do
the same when i woke up and then got home from work..two moves a day ...
Why go through ICC , seems like a lot of trouble...

Old August 24th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

SAT W-7 wrote:
I played a e mail game a few times with a guy in England so he was 8
hours a head of me so he would move before and after work and i would do
the same when i woke up and then got home from work..two moves a day ...
Why go through ICC , seems like a lot of trouble...

I think you missed the point of my post. I play the games on ICC at time
controls much faster than you would with email chess (I like about 45
0). Hence that is why I use their server.

I get ICC to email me the files, so I have a couple of copies of the
games - one in my email folder, and another on my laptop. There are two
copies then of the games, so I'm less likely to loose one if there is a
hardware problem.

So whilst getting the emails quickly is not a concern, I was more
concerned that emails in general take a long time to arrive. I've had a
lot of problems recently with emails - I can't send to Sourceforge lists
as my ISP will not accept mail to the postmaster account. And ICC emails
seem to take a long time to arrive.

But the speed of arrival has no effect on the game actually played -
that happens much quicker
Old August 25th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Ok....

I need to get a real computer some day ..