Old March 25th 04, 05:07 PM
Chuck in Minot

Default Are stand alone Chess computers becoming a thing of that past.

I used to remember you couldn't go anywhere without running into chess
computer, but now with tons of chess programs is the market dying out?
There are a few it seems when there used to be quite a huge selection to
choose from.

Old March 25th 04, 07:19 PM
Simon Waters

Chuck in Minot wrote:
I used to remember you couldn't go anywhere without running into chess
computer, but now with tons of chess programs is the market dying out?
There are a few it seems when there used to be quite a huge selection to
choose from.

Of course - why would you pay extra when your mobile phone has more than
enough computing power to beat all but a master - who'll have to splash
out on an upmarket phone, or a PDA today if he wants to be beaten regularly.

Hands up all those who have been beaten by their mobile phone? Me I
plead only one games out of the 5 eval games the program gave me,lame
the screen was too small to see that Knight /lame

Of course the upmarket PDAs have a nice bright screen these days, and
about 20 times the nodes per second of my old phone.

Now if they would print estimated ELO ratings in the mobile phone
catalogues I might feel compelled to upgrade more often ;-)