Old August 21st 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Fritz UI "Not responding" with Rybka

I just upgraded my CPU to a Core2 Duo Q6600 (quad 2.4GHz). I am not
overclocking [yet] or doing anything fancy. If I try and run analysis using
the latest Rybka (2.3.2a? ... I am not local to the machine to verify at the
moment) the Fritz UI will go "not responding" in pretty short order. I had
trouble in the past with my E6600 as well, but it wasn't as problematic as
now. Oddly, running an engine match on Playchess from the Fritz UI works
fine.

Does anybody else see this? Is this just another bug with Fritz UI and UCI
engines? I have tried using ChessDB (Scid) for analysis, but it is very
unintuitive and not all that configurable.

Thanks for comments on experience and solutions.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from the
machinations of the wicked.

Old August 21st 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
I just upgraded my CPU to a Core2 Duo Q6600 (quad 2.4GHz). I am not
overclocking [yet] or doing anything fancy. If I try and run
analysis using the latest Rybka (2.3.2a? ... I am not local to the
machine to verify at the moment) the Fritz UI will go "not
responding" in pretty short order. I had trouble in the past with
my E6600 as well, but it wasn't as problematic as now. Oddly,
running an engine match on Playchess from the Fritz UI works fine.

I have vague memories of Rybka being locked to the hardware you first
installed it on, but with the ability to re-key it when you upgrade.
On the other hand, I can see nothing about this at rybkachess.com so
maybe I've misremembered?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Psychotic Composer (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a pupil of Beethoven but it wants to
Old August 21st 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

David Richerby wrote:

I have vague memories of Rybka being locked to the hardware you first
installed it on, but with the ability to re-key it when you upgrade.
On the other hand, I can see nothing about this at rybkachess.com so
maybe I've misremembered?

There were no alterations to the original file for it to even know. I
downloaded it and saved it on CD.

As I indicated, it works fine when used in engine competitions at
Playchess.com. It just seems to fail in analysis or when playing a game
against it [or infinite analysis]. I will happily play Fritz, but for
analysis, I like Rybka. BTW ... it is ChessProgram8.exe that actually locks
up, not Rybka. ChessProgram8.exe is part of the FritzUI.

Old August 21st 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I am not sure how to fix your problem since i have a webtv .
Can you play Fritz vs Rybka at one minute per move and see who wins
and post the game ?
id like to see that....Play two games so each can be black..

thank you

Old August 23rd 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I have installed Rybka on my quad processor Mac running Fritz 9 under
Windows under Bootcamp and it has no lockup problems. Sound to me like
Fritz might be running out of memory (I have 4 Gb). If you are low on
memory, try reducing the hash size.

As for single-processor Fritz9 vs multi-processor Rybka, Rybka won 8-2-0
on my 3 Ghz quad computer, but it was 1-8-1 on my 1.8 GHz duo.

Henri

Old August 23rd 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Henri Arsenault wrote:
I have installed Rybka on my quad processor Mac running Fritz 9 under
Windows under Bootcamp and it has no lockup problems. Sound to me like
Fritz might be running out of memory (I have 4 Gb). If you are low on
memory, try reducing the hash size.

I have 4GB of DDR2-800 4-4-4-12. I run the 64-bit version of Rybka(mp) in the
Fritz 10 UI (not deep fritz). Vista 64-bit Ultimate. I get the same lockup
problems with Windows XP 64-bit (professional). It is worth mentioning that
it is the Fritz UI that is freezing (ChessProgram8.exe or somesuch) and not
Rybka.

Old August 25th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
David Richerby wrote:
I have vague memories of Rybka being locked to the hardware you first
installed it on, but with the ability to re-key it when you upgrade.
On the other hand, I can see nothing about this at rybkachess.com so
maybe I've misremembered?

There were no alterations to the original file for it to even know. I
downloaded it and saved it on CD.

As I indicated, it works fine when used in engine competitions at
Playchess.com. It just seems to fail in analysis or when playing a game
against it [or infinite analysis]. I will happily play Fritz, but for
analysis, I like Rybka. BTW ... it is ChessProgram8.exe that actually locks
up, not Rybka. ChessProgram8.exe is part of the FritzUI.

Double check for updates to your program, or change UI's to a more
updated one than Fritz 8. Fritz 9 works pretty well, and it's 20 bucks
on Amazon. Or try Arena it's free. Or look hard for Fritz 8 updates.
But I suspect it is because the whole UCI thing was just not that mature
under fritz 8.
Old August 27th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

JohnnyT wrote:
Double check for updates to your program, or change UI's to a more
updated one than Fritz 8. Fritz 9 works pretty well, and it's 20 bucks
on Amazon. Or try Arena it's free. Or look hard for Fritz 8 updates.
But I suspect it is because the whole UCI thing was just not that mature
under fritz 8.

I use the Fritz 10 interface and it pulled down a nice sized update when I
logged into Playchess. I am aware that updates come down based upon what your
active engine is, so I logged in with Fritz as the active engine to get
updates.

Old August 29th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Aug 21, 4:00 pm, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:
David Richerby wrote:

I have vague memories of Rybka being locked to the hardware you first
installed it on, but with the ability to re-key it when you upgrade.
On the other hand, I can see nothing about this at rybkachess.com so
maybe I've misremembered?

There were no alterations to the original file for it to even know. I
downloaded it and saved it on CD.

As I indicated, it works fine when used in engine competitions at
Playchess.com. It just seems to fail in analysis or when playing a game
against it [or infinite analysis]. I will happily play Fritz, but for
analysis, I like Rybka. BTW ... it is ChessProgram8.exe that actually locks
up, not Rybka. ChessProgram8.exe is part of the FritzUI.

I have run ChessProgram8 and Rybka 2.3.2 on my Toshiba portable
without any obvious lock up problems. I usually run it under
ChessProgram9 though.

The only ones I know of that break the FritzUI are where when analysis
is down the top N lines and multiple mate in M moves are found so that
2M the ply depth being searched. The engines then grind to a near
standstill but do not actually stop responding. It becomes a problem
when analysing knife edge puzzle positions but seldom affects real
games. (this affects all the CB engines equally)

I have previously demonstrated example positions that break the
FritzGUI here.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old August 29th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Martin Brown wrote:

I have run ChessProgram8 and Rybka 2.3.2 on my Toshiba portable
without any obvious lock up problems. I usually run it under
ChessProgram9 though.

I use the FritzUI, so perhaps it was ChessProgram10 (rather than 8 or 9).
Anyway, keep in mind that I use the multi-cpu version of Rybka, which is what
I believe makes this problem so much worse.

The only ones I know of that break the FritzUI are where when analysis
is down the top N lines and multiple mate in M moves are found so that
2M the ply depth being searched. The engines then grind to a near
standstill but do not actually stop responding. It becomes a problem
when analysing knife edge puzzle positions but seldom affects real
games. (this affects all the CB engines equally)

I have previously demonstrated example positions that break the
FritzGUI here.

I have seen the occassional lockup with the Fritz engine as well, but it is
very very rare. I tend to do 15/15 analysis on both sides, which I believe to
be more than adequate considering the quality of my CPU and RAM.