Old March 29th 04, 11:24 AM
Jon Beckett

Default Macros in Chess Partner

Hi all,

I bought ChessPartner at the weekend from the Lokasoft website, and
was looking at writing some macros for it.

Has anybody else written any macros for it? I have looked at the API
document they distribute, but it's not really very helpful (I'm in the
process of trying to get more info out of them).

Regards

Jonathan
Jon Beckett
Old March 29th 04, 12:59 PM
Odd Gunnar Malin

"Jon Beckett" skrev i melding
Hi all,

I bought ChessPartner at the weekend from the Lokasoft website, and
was looking at writing some macros for it.

Has anybody else written any macros for it? I have looked at the API
document they distribute, but it's not really very helpful (I'm in the
process of trying to get more info out of them).

Regards

Jonathan
Jon Beckett

Did you look at their samples?

You write your macro in vb-script and make use of their objects for
game/database/engine etc.
If it is the visual basic thing you have trouble with you will find help at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...riVBScript.asp

If you tell what you try to do maybe someone in here could give a brief
sample as a fast-start.

Odd Gunnar

Old March 29th 04, 01:23 PM
Jon Beckett

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:59:50 +0200, "Odd Gunnar Malin"
wrote:

"Jon Beckett" skrev i melding
.. .
Hi all,

I bought ChessPartner at the weekend from the Lokasoft website, and
was looking at writing some macros for it.

snip

Did you look at their samples?

Yes, I did look at the samples. Perhaps I should admit at this point
that I am a professional software developer in the daytime, so the
coding is no problem - I was just a bit mystified because the API
document doesn't have the events documented, and some of the methods
aren't documented well either.

The biggest problem (for me) is in the computation method - there is
no documentation over how deep or how long it is going to spend
computing the best move before firing the event.

I'm actually looking to do a better analysis function - where it makes
the analysis into a variation, and adds simple comments based on the
score change from the previous move.
Jon Beckett
Old March 29th 04, 09:24 PM
Jonathan Beckett

I think I'm getting somewhere with the problem getting Macros working
in ChessPartner.

It would "appear" (and I am in the process of verifying this with
Lokasoft) that the event that should fire on completion of engine
analysis is not happening.

The documented event is "ENGINE_AsyncResult", but it doesnt fire in my
installation of ChessPartner version 5.3.0.42.

I've tried it in XP and Win98, and it's the same - looks like a bug,
but again - I need to confirm it with the developers.

Old March 29th 04, 10:51 PM
Odd Gunnar Malin

"Jonathan Beckett" skrev i melding
I think I'm getting somewhere with the problem getting Macros working
in ChessPartner.

It would "appear" (and I am in the process of verifying this with
Lokasoft) that the event that should fire on completion of engine
analysis is not happening.

The documented event is "ENGINE_AsyncResult", but it doesnt fire in my
installation of ChessPartner version 5.3.0.42.

I've tried it in XP and Win98, and it's the same - looks like a bug,
but again - I need to confirm it with the developers.

Ok, keep us informed.
I've been busy tonight so all I got time to was to find Engine.Level to set
the search time (you see the format with displaying it).

Odd Gunnar

Old March 30th 04, 09:41 AM
Jon Beckett

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:51:33 +0200, "Odd Gunnar Malin"
wrote:

"Jonathan Beckett" skrev i melding
.. .
I think I'm getting somewhere with the problem getting Macros working
in ChessPartner.

It would "appear" (and I am in the process of verifying this with
Lokasoft) that the event that should fire on completion of engine
analysis is not happening.

The documented event is "ENGINE_AsyncResult", but it doesnt fire in my
installation of ChessPartner version 5.3.0.42.

I've tried it in XP and Win98, and it's the same - looks like a bug,
but again - I need to confirm it with the developers.

Ok, keep us informed.
I've been busy tonight so all I got time to was to find Engine.Level to set
the search time (you see the format with displaying it).

Odd Gunnar

It's getting more curious. Lokasoft now think it works fine for them -
but I have seen the same problem now on three computers.

Here's my test macro;

'# Start Macro
Engine.SetPlayMode 0,0

Engine.MoveIndex = Engine.Game.IndexFromPly(12,0)
Engine.StartCompute 0

Sub Engine_AsyncResult(ByVal score, ByVal var, ByVal expectmove)
MsgBox "Compute Done"
End Sub
'# End Macro Listing

I load a game from PGN, set the LCHESS engine to "20 seconds per
move", make sure analysis is off, then run the above macro. The
analysis happens, and the stats window shows that LCHESS would have
made a different move than I did - but then the event doesn't fire.

Any ideas anybody?

Jon Beckett