Old August 27th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Fritz 10 - Tablebases

Please help.

I cannot access the endgame database when playing 4 or 5 piece
endings.

The manual refers to the tablebase on the CD and advises to 'copy the
content of the directory \TBS.

I have opened the Fritz CD and cannot find anything with TBS on.

Am I mising something ie the endgame database itself on the CD??

Old August 27th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"keithbc" wrote in message ups.com...
Please help.

I cannot access the endgame database when playing 4 or 5 piece
endings.

The manual refers to the tablebase on the CD and advises to 'copy the
content of the directory \TBS.

I have opened the Fritz CD and cannot find anything with TBS on.

Am I mising something ie the endgame database itself on the CD??

The tablebases are not on the DVD.
You can download them from the Hyatt site (among others):

ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt/TB/3-4-5/

Regards,
John

Old August 27th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 27 Aug, 13:58, "John Sheatsley" wrote:
"keithbc" wrote in oglegroups.com...
Please help.

I cannot access the endgame database when playing 4 or 5 piece
endings.

The manual refers to the tablebase on the CD and advises to 'copy the
content of the directory \TBS.

I have opened the Fritz CD and cannot find anything with TBS on.

Am I mising something ie the endgame database itself on the CD??

The tablebases are not on the DVD.
You can download them from the Hyatt site (among others):

ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt/TB/3-4-5/

Regards,
John

Thank you very much for that. The previous Fritz version I had (5.32)
has some endgame databases on them.

I have looked at this sight and please forgive me if I seem a bit
naive, but do I need to download each separate endgame type (ie
QRvsQR) separately, or can I (somehow?) download the lot?

many thanks
regards
Keith

Old August 27th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

snip

The tablebases are not on the DVD.
You can download them from the Hyatt site (among others):

ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt/TB/3-4-5/

Regards,
John

Thank you very much for that. The previous Fritz version I had (5.32)
has some endgame databases on them.

I have looked at this sight and please forgive me if I seem a bit
naive, but do I need to download each separate endgame type (ie
QRvsQR) separately, or can I (somehow?) download the lot?

many thanks
regards
Keith

Sorry, Keith, but you will need to download each file separately.
However, you can start another download while one is in progress
and have several running at once. I think I had 10 going
at a time. It may take 3-4 hours even with a high speed
connection.

Regards,
John

Old August 28th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 27 Aug, 19:45, "John Sheatsley" wrote:
snip

[...]

John- Hide quoted text -

Thanks John that was useful - did not know I could download more than
one at a time!

regards

Old August 28th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"keithbc" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thanks John that was useful - did not know I could download more than
one at a time!

regards

By the way, depending on your browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox etc) you
may be able to start only (!) 4 downloads at one time... I can't recall the
defaults for any of the browsers, but if you Google for "concurrent
download browser" along with your browser name, you might find ways to
increase or otherwise tweak that number. However, unless you are on a very
fast connection, more than the default is likely going to result in
starvation of all but the first few downloads unless they are from different
sites (in this case, all your downloads would be coming from the same web
site, so there is a limit to the amount of data that can be sucked through a
straw...)

HTH

Old August 29th 07, 08:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Aug 27, 1:58 pm, "John Sheatsley" wrote:
"keithbc" wrote in oglegroups.com...
Please help.

I cannot access the endgame database when playing 4 or 5 piece
endings.

The manual refers to the tablebase on the CD and advises to 'copy the
content of the directory \TBS.

I have opened the Fritz CD and cannot find anything with TBS on.

Am I mising something ie the endgame database itself on the CD??

The tablebases are not on the DVD.

Which does seem a bit inconvenient as there is plenty of space for the
3,4 men TBs and important 5men.
ISTR Fritz8 had the generator program TBGen.exe and script TBcheck.cmd
It may be that FritzX also has these files lurking in a dark corner
somewhere too.

This will rapidly make the 3 & 4 man TBs but is excruciatingly slow
for the 5 men even on a very fast machine (and needs lots of ram).
Generating the easier ones and simultaneously downloading the biggest
from Bob Hyatts site via ftp was the approach that I used. Or you
could buy them on a DVD set upto and including all the important 6men
TBs.

You can download them from the Hyatt site (among others):

ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt/TB/3-4-5/

Indeed. Although I did feel just a little bit guilty grabbing several
GB from half way round the world.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old September 1st 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

And then check the integrity of the downloads with a freesoft such as
Wilhelm 1.50

"cbseries" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...

John Sheatsley;238416 Wrote:
snip
--

-

Sorry, Keith, but you will need to download each file separately.
However, you can start another download while one is in progress
and have several running at once. I think I had 10 going
at a time. It may take 3-4 hours even with a high speed
connection.

Regards,
John

Or if you use Firefox browser use the browser add-on 'DownThemAll' and
it will download all of the emd files for you. I set 'DownThemAll' to
download the files one at a time.

I have gotten the tablebases from the Hyatt site both ways, clicking
each link manually and another time, after having learned about
'DownThemAll' I let it download them for me.

Either way you use to download the files, when finished you should have
290 files, totaling some 7.05 gigabytes.

--
cbseries