Old August 28th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Are you unable to complete games at GetClub.

I find it difficult to complete games in time. So a bit of strength
was decreased to improve game speed.

I would like to know is the playing strength ok or you want a much
stronger opponent?

Play a game and tell me
http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

If I increase its stregth then it will think longer. Please let me
know your opinion. What should be improved further.

The Time taken by move or the Play Strength?

Bye
Sanny

Old August 28th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Aug 28, 11:31 am, Sanny wrote:
I find it difficult to complete games in time. So a bit of strength
was decreased to improve game speed.

I would like to know is the playing strength ok or you want a much
stronger opponent?

Play a game and tell mehttp://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

If I increase its stregth then it will think longer. Please let me
know your opinion. What should be improved further.

Well, since these program problems seem to never be
solved, I would suggest you allow the user to select the
ACTUAL time (not claimed), as determined by polling the
user's computer's built-in clock and not some distant
galaxy time continuum, and let the strength fall where it
may.

For instance, if the user selects ten seconds per move
and then complains that the program hangs pieces left
and right, shift the blame and tell him that the weakness
was caused by him not giving the program enough (i.e.
infinite) time to find better moves.

If the user selects an hour per move, have the program
move in an hour -- not ten hours -- per move, and if there
are still complaints about poor moves, so be it. At least
this way, the never-ending complaints about "cheating"
or over-stepping the stated time per move will have been
resolved, once and for all.

When I say "polling" the user's computer's own clock,
I mean simply having your Java applet check the user's
machine to see what it (or his Windows OS, perhaps)
says is the local time. Certainly, if someone wanted to
cheat he could perhaps alter the clock during play, but
right now I don't think anybody *needs* to cheat in order
to win, so this should not really be an issue.

-- help bot

Old August 29th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

help bot wrote:
On Aug 28, 11:31 am, Sanny wrote:
I find it difficult to complete games in time. So a bit of strength
was decreased to improve game speed.

I would like to know is the playing strength ok or you want a much
stronger opponent?

Play a game and tell mehttp://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

If I increase its stregth then it will think longer. Please let me
know your opinion. What should be improved further.

Well, since these program problems seem to never be
solved, ...

Insanity: repeating the same action, expecting a different result.

Sanny's program cheats. Sanny's program always cheats.

The only effective punishment for cheating is "shunning".

Starting.....now

--
Kenneth Sloan
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170
Old August 29th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Aug 28, 8:35 pm, Kenneth Sloan wrote:

Insanity: repeating the same action, expecting a different result.

Not true at all; I could not hope to detail all the times
that I have performed the same action on my computer,
only to get very different results.

For instance, starting my internet program may well
lead to an error identical to what happens when they
claim I have not paid my bill on time, but wait ten
minutes and try again and presto, no error and I am
on! With regard to Sanny's Web site, there are a
multitude of things one can try without success, but
on occasion finally get through somehow (I can't even
begin to explain it) to play a game of chess.

The same thing applies elsewhere; I tried to inflate
the tires on my botcycle with a gadget that plugs into
the cigarette lighter on my car, and though it made
noise it pumped no air. Later, I tried again and this
time it started working; I cannot explain how it could
make such noise and yet pump no air, but that is
quite beside the point.

Sanny's program cheats. Sanny's program always cheats.

Baloney. A computer cannot "cheat"; it only does
what its programmer tells it to do. In this case, the
programmers are incompetent and cannot seem to
even get it to play random moves on cue. You have
just confused cheating, which is a type of deception
really, with utter incompetence.

The only effective punishment for cheating is "shunning".

Shunning is not severe enough to get real results;
this is why burning at the stake was invented, my
brother. Another great invention of us religious folk
is drowning in the river, to see if a person floats or
not; witches, you see, float, because they are made
of wood. If the test fails, you have an innocent corpse
to bury but this is a very small price to pay for
identifying the witches among us.

No, I think although it is true that Sanny is quite
incapable of learning, this is no reason to give up
all hope; for instance, an earthquake could destroy
his servers, or a virus erase his hard drives; His
mother could come along at any time and take
away his surfing privileges; or his dad could show
up and make him apologize for all the lying he's
been doing here. They might even put him in
"time out" or make him do homework. Life is
rough.

-- help bot

Old August 29th 07, 06:27 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Play a game and tell me http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

If I increase its stregth then it will think longer. Please let me
know your opinion. What should be improved further.

Yesterday 3 games were played and completed in just 20 minutes

Well, since these program problems seem to never be
solved, I would suggest you allow the user to select the
ACTUAL time (not claimed), as determined by polling the
user's computer's built-in clock and not some distant
galaxy time continuum, and let the strength fall where it
may.

The Time issue is solved. Now the only thing is whether you need more
strength or the strength at which the game is playing is OK.

Play a few games and let me know how it is playing.
http://www.getclub.com/Chess.html

Yesterdays 3 Games I saw the Beginner Level making moves in 10-20
seconds. and Easy Level in 20-30 sec / move.

The game has become too good to be told, Just Play and you will find
what I am saying.

You can finish a game with Beginner Level in 25 min
Beginner: 1600

You can finish a game with Easy Level in 1.5 hour
Easy: 1700

You can finish a game with Normal Level in 4 hours
Normal: 1800

You can finish a game with Master Level in 8 hours
Master: 1900

Bye
Sanny

Play Chess at: http://www.getclub.com/Chess.html

Old August 29th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

help bot wrote:

A computer cannot "cheat"

Imagine a chess computer programmed to wait until you put it
in pause mode for over an hour and to then change the position
of on of your men. That would be cheating, would it not?

Old August 29th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

"help bot" schreef in bericht
ups.com...
On Aug 28, 8:35 pm, Kenneth Sloan wrote:

Insanity: repeating the same action, expecting a different result.

Not true at all; I could not hope to detail all the times
that I have performed the same action on my computer,
only to get very different results.

But did you expect it?
Playing chess against a GM for instance could make you a winner, if you
choose the best answer against him all the time, even if it's by sheer luck.
This probably makes you, if not a GM, a very lucky choice-maker.
The point is obvious: if Sanny's program makes 'good moves', as Sanny
himself often told us,,, GM's moves even, that doesn't make it a GM-level
program. 1 stupid move making it lose to a human with level 1200 makes it a
level 1200 engine (even if it makes 95% Rybka moves)

Old August 29th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

A Tough Game between easy and another Computer Game. GetClub Chess
lost the Match.

White: Other Computer
Black: Easy Level
Played at: http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

Recorded Game:http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...131&game=Chess

Easy Level Other Computer

1.e2-e4 e7-e5
2.Nb1-c3 Nb8-c6
3.Bf1-c4 Ng8-f6
4.d2-d3 Bf8-b4
5.Bc1-g5 Bb4xc3+
6.b2xc3 h7-h6
7.Bg5xf6 Qd8xf6
8.Qd1-f3 d7-d6
9.Qf3xf6 g7xf6
10.Ra1-b1 Rh8-g8
11.g2-g3 a7-a5
12.h2-h3 Nc6-e7
13.g3-g4 c7-c6
14.a2-a4 d6-d5
15.e4xd5 c6xd5
16.Bc4-b5+ Ne7-c6
17.Ng1-f3 Bc8-d7
18.Ke1-d2 Ra8-c8
19.c3-c4 d5xc4
20.Bb5xc4 Nc6-b4
21.c2-c3 Bd7-c6
22.c3xb4 Bc6xf3
23.Rh1-c1 b7-b6
24.Bc4-d5 Rc8xc1
25.Rb1xc1 Bf3xd5
26.Rc1-c8+ Ke8-d7
27.Rc8xg8 a5xb4
28.Rg8-h8 Kd7-e6
29.Rh8-b8 b6-b5
30.Rb8-b6+ Ke6-e7
31.Rb6xb5 Bd5-g2
32.h3-h4 b4-b3
33.a4-a5 Bg2-h3
34.a5-a6 Bh3xg4
35.Rb5-b7+ Ke7-d6
36.a6-a7 Bg4-c8
37.Rb7-b4 Kd6-c5
38.Rb4-b8 Bc8-e6
39.a7-a8 Kc5-d6
40.Qa8-a5 Kd6-c6
41.Qa5-b6+ Kc6-d7
42.Rb8-d8+ Kd7-e7
43.Qb6-d6#

The moves were so complex for me to understand Why GetClub Lost the
Game.

Can anyone tell What wrong move GetClub made which made it loose the
Game. And what GetClub Easy Level Should have moved to win.

Old August 29th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Aug 28, 12:31 pm, Sanny wrote:

I find it difficult to complete games in time.

I find it impossible to start a game at all. The area where the
chess board should appear continues to remain blank.

Old August 29th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Aug 29, 8:21 am, Guy Macon http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote:
help bot wrote:

A computer cannot "cheat"

Imagine a chess computer programmed to wait until you put it
in pause mode for over an hour and to then change the position
of on of your men. That would be cheating, would it not?

Yes, but in this example it is not the computer that
is doing the cheating, but the programmer who forced
it to do that against its will. As already explained in
the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey", when you do
things like that, you cannot blame the computer.
Look to humans for the real culprit; root out the human
cheaters, and there will be no cheating.

-- help bot