Old September 7th 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Duncan Oxley has died

Duncan Oxley has died

Duncan Oxley, a well known chess tournament and Internet personality
has died in Marina, California.

I am shocked to hear of his death especially since he called me on
Wednesday, August 29, 2007, and we had a telephone conversation
lasting over an hour on a wide variety of topics.

He told me that he was seriously ill. He had a disease of the large
intestine. He told me that it resulted in his having pits in his large
intestine in which particles passing through would be caught and
lodged. He said that years ago a person with this condition would be
required to wear a Colostomy Bag, but that now this could be treated
with antibiotics, which was how he was being treated.

In our conversation, although he stated that because of his illness he
was not able to act as a moderator on the USCF Forums at the present
time, I did not get the impression that he thought that death was
imminent.

He did use that opportunity to provide me with a brief biography. He
said that he was born in San Francisco and grew up in Berkeley
California. He had moved to the Monterey-Salinas area around twenty
years ago. He was 48 years old and recently he had celebrated the
birthday of his grandchild.

When I asked about the grandchild he said that be had never been
married because "I do not believe in it". He had become a father at
age 17 during the Berkeley Free Love Era, so he now has a daughter 31
years old.

We spoke about mutual chess acquaintances, including Ted Yudacufski
and Rex Wilcox.

He told me a few chess insider secrets, on my promise not to reveal
them (and I will not reveal them).

I last met Duncan Oxley at the 2001 National Open in Las Vegas. He was
an Administrator and Moderator on the Internet Chess Club for at least
seven years. He was the sole moderator on the highly contentions USCF
Forums for the last several months. He was also a member of my own
FIDE-chess email group. He was mostly known for his presence on the
internet. I suspect that most of those who knew him never actually met
him.

My lengthy telephone conversation with him on August 29 ended with him
giving me his current telephone number and telling me to call him any
time. Unfortunately, I will never get to speak to him again.

Old September 7th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

Here is the last email I received from Duncan Oxley before he died.
Note that he did not state that he had health problems. He stated that
he had family problems. When I subsequently asked him on the phone
what his family problems were, he said that they had to do with his
granddaughter.

Sam Sloan

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:32 pm

I didn't forget, I WILL be calling you asap. I'm having a lot of
family problems right now..

HOW LATE (EST Time) can I call you tonight?

Old September 7th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Are you happy Brian Lafferty and Sam Sloan?

You and Brian Lafferty were the 2 meanest son of bitches to Duncan.
Are you happy of what you have done? Assholes!

Old September 8th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

"samsloan" Here is the last email I received from Duncan Oxley before he
died.
Note that he did not state that he had health problems. He stated that
he had family problems. When I subsequently asked him on the phone
what his family problems were, he said that they had to do with his
granddaughter.

Well, did you call the family and offer condolences? Was he in Berkely when
you were there? Did you guys ever have sex with the same young girls? Did
you ever meet his daughter? Can you post her phone number?

Old September 16th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

Duncan R. Oxley
Duncan R. Oxley
October 21, 1961 ~ September 2, 2007

MARINA, CA - Entered into rest September 2, 2007. He is survived by
his loving mother, Sue Ann Oxley of Marina; sisters, Dawn McQuiston,
Jeanne Oxley, Robin Oxley; and brother, Dustin Oxley. He was preceded
in death by his father, James Oxley. A private service will be held
for the family. Donations may be made in his name to: The Friends of
the Marina Library, P.O. Box 493, Marina, CA 93933.
Published in the Monterey Herald on 9/8/2007.

http://www.legacy.com/montereyherald...sonID=94263533