Old September 17th 07, 09:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Advice on Chess Computers

Hi,
I have a work colleage who wants to buy a Chess Computer. I have told
to him to buy a Chess Software for PC, but he told me that he wants a
real board to play. He has no ELO or ratings, and he is a novice
player who only wants to enjoy the game. His only concern is that its
level would be enough to beat him 75% of times, and that prize don't
be too high, I mean, he wants a prize/quality relation good product.
We have been looking for "Novag Carnelian II" and "Obsedian de Luxe",
for 119€ and 149€.
Other product are "Novag Athenas II" (79,95€), "Novag Beryl
Plus" (56,95€).
We have no idea of this product and if they match what he is looking
for. We know there are other chess computer like "Saitek" or
"Excalibur Electronic".
Any advice would be wellcome. What chess computer do you considerer
the best prize/quality for and intermediate player like my friend?
Best regards,
Fer

Old September 18th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I have a Excalibur ( Ivan the conquer 2 ) I think they are 70 to 80 $
?? I got it cheap because the store was going out of business....
The box say's I800 ELO but i have played a few games vs Fritz and it
is more in the I700 ELO level....
STILL way stronger than me and i have only won one game on the
strongest level..I have lost about 400 + games over the years..

I like it over all .....

The battle sound it makes kind of annoy me a little now so i just turn
the sound off ..
There are a lot of levels and time controls ...

I do like the time controls and it has a - and + with a number ...When
it is - that means Ivan is winning and a + means he is losing....I
rarely ever see a + sign..ha ha ha....

I biggest beef with it is when i play black , it plays black from the
first and second rank and white from the 7 and 8th ranks...I am not sure
why they set it up like that but it bugs me .

When i play computer vs computer , Fritz 9 for example , i can see the
weaknesses in Ivans end game and yet i am not good enough to exploit
them.. I can not see it's middle game wakneses because i am not good
enough player....

Over all i can recommend it...

BUT he should save his money and get the next step up ..The Grand Master
excalibur chess set ..I think the price has come down to around I75 $
....The board is larger and pieces are larger + it says it's ELO i
belive 2300 ? But you can figure 2200 ..... Your computer has chance to
beat other computers ...I hate when Ivan loses to other computers ..ha
ha ha..

By the way i like my Ivan board and pieces too.

Old September 21st 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 01:03:26 -0700, Fermin wrote:

Hi,
I have a work colleage who wants to buy a Chess Computer. I have told
to him to buy a Chess Software for PC, but he told me that he wants a
real board to play. He has no ELO or ratings, and he is a novice
player who only wants to enjoy the game. His only concern is that its
level would be enough to beat him 75% of times, and that prize don't
be too high, I mean, he wants a prize/quality relation good product.
We have been looking for "Novag Carnelian II" and "Obsedian de Luxe",
for 119 and 149.
Other product are "Novag Athenas II" (79,95), "Novag Beryl
Plus" (56,95).
We have no idea of this product and if they match what he is looking
for. We know there are other chess computer like "Saitek" or
"Excalibur Electronic".

I have an Excalibur Saber IV
http://excaliburelectronics.net/High..._echess_hr.jpg
and i am very happy with it.
The size is perfect for travelling, it is strong enough for me and the price
( $30) cannot be beat!!
Highly recommended

Benoit-Nicole