Old April 1st 04, 03:29 PM
Stan Shankman

Default I built a computer that plays perfect chess . . .

From: Stan Shankman
Thursday, April 01, 2004

I built a computer to play chess.
And you know what?
It plays perfect chess.

When you play it, it calls “checkmate in 52 moves”.
(Fifty-one moves if it’s playing white.)

Anyway, I thought you all might like to know how I did it.

When I started building, I didn’t have much to work with.
So I looked around the house to see what I could find.
I found an old clock-radio that once belonged to my grandmother.
And I was able to salvage some capacitors and the clock motor from it.
Oh, and I got the tubes out of it too.
Then, I got hold of and old mechanical typewriter. (1940s style)
I needed to use the typewriter to output the moves.
So, I had to make a trip to Office Max to find a fresh ribbon.
I got out my old Weller soldering gun and started working.
I found additional components; an old tomato can, and a stick of gum -
actually just the aluminum foil wrapper. Oh, and I used a mousetrap too.
It was a lot harder to do than I thought, and took me almost four hours!
Anyway, when I finished, I was surprised to see that it called
“Checkmate in 52 moves”.
I packed it up and took it to the local chess club.
GM Détaché il Tout was there and played a match with it.
And he got beat in less than 40 moves each game.

So, I guess you guys won’t need to fiddle around with programming anymore –
because it’s now a “solved” science.

Party on guys,

- Stan Shankman

Old April 2nd 04, 08:28 AM
Stan Shankman

Default I built a computer that plays perfect chess - APRIL FOOLS !

Oh, did I mention April Fools day?
Happy April Fools day to you all.

- Stan Shankman