Old October 7th 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default New version of Scid Pocket (database and training)

Hi,

I released a version 0.21 of Scid for Pocket PC with a new engine
(Phalanx) : it is now possible to play a game with an opponent
simulating an Elo between 1200 and 2200, in exactly the same way we can
play with Scid on a PC.

To play against Phalanx, it has to be selected as engine #1.

See :
http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/PPC.html

and for Scid on PC :
http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/

Pascal
Old October 7th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default New version of Scid...NOT.

Pascal wrote:

I released a version 0.21 of Scid

No you didn't. "Scid" is a trademark of Shane Hudson, and
stands for Shane's Chess Information Database. Shane Hudson
never gave you permission to use the name SCid for your
forked project. You stole it, taking advantage of his illness.
This is why the sourceforge admims wouldn't allow you to take
over the Scid project.

The REAL Scid is found he [ http://scid.sourceforge.net/ ]
There are at least three forks of Scid, but yours is the only
one that pretends to be something other than a fork --

Scid:
http://scid.sourceforge.net/

Forks of Scid:
http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/
http://chessx.sourceforge.net/
http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/

--
Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/

Old October 7th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Shane Hudson
never gave you permission to use the name SCid for your
forked project.

Scid is released under the GPL, that means everyone has permission to change
scid's source and release it to the public as long as it is released with
the new source.

http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/

And here you give the link to scid for PPC which is illegal as you say...

Alex

Old October 8th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Alex wrote:

Shane Hudson never gave [Pascal] permission to use
the name SCid for [his] forked project.

Scid is released under the GPL, that means everyone has
permission to change scid's source and release it to the
public as long as it is released with the new source.

You appear to have, somewhere along the line, become
badly misinformed as to what is and is not allowed
under the GPL. No shame in that; a lot of folks get
it wrong. The only shame will be if you turn out to
be unwilling to have your false impression corrected.

You are correct in believing that everyone has
permission to change Scid's source and release it
to the public as long as it is released with the
new source, but you are very much incorrect in
your assertion that the GPL allows the new release
to be called "Scid."

If you doubt me on this, I suggest a small experiment;
First, try to re-release Redhat Linux with nothing
changed but the name. You will find that this is allowed,
but that you wouldn't be the first. Lineox, Pie Box Linux,
CentOS, Whitebox Linux. Scientific Linux, XOS, Pink Tie
Linux, GENtOS, YOUrOS, GnYOUlinux, Startcom Linux, Oracle
Linux and TaoLinux have all released clones of Red Hat
Linux, and most of them are byte-for-byte identical except
for the name in the copyright notices being changed.

Now try calling your new release "Red Hat." In a few days
you will get a letter like this one from Red Hat's lawyers:
[ http://www.centos.org/modules/news/a...php?storyid=66 ]
and if you refuse to change the name, you *will* be sued.

The thief who is stealing the name "Scid" is taking advantage
of the fact that the owner of that name is very ill and unable
to defend it. He has every right to release a fork of Scid,
and under the GPL he can even claim that he wrote it from
scratch (he already claims that he wrote code that he lifted
directly from ChessDB, another fork of Scid, icluding bugs
and typos in the comments, and doing that is allowed under
the GPL. Whether anyone believes him is another matter).
What he cannot do under the GPL is to call it "Scid" until
he gets express permission from Shane Hudson (the author of
Scid) to do so.

--
Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/

Old October 8th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Guy Macon http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote:
"Scid" is a trademark of Shane Hudson

No it isn't. We've already been through that.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Miniature Gigantic Projector (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a 16mm film projector but

Old October 9th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Speaking of Open Source... I thought that one was supposed to distribute
Fruit & Toga's source with every port made of them.
Is it correct or not ?
In this case, I'd be interested to see the Pocket PC's version of these
engines.

best

Old October 9th 07, 09:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Gino wrote:

Speaking of Open Source... I thought that one was supposed
to distribute [...] source with every port

You are not required to *distribute* the source code, only
to *make it available*. Distributing it is one way to do
that, and is usual for smaller programs, but requiring the
source code to be included would kill the idea of Linux
distributions that fit on a single floppy disk. Making it
available as a free download meets the requirements of the
GPL and all other open-source licenses.

--
Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/

Old October 9th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

You are not required to *distribute* the source code, only
to *make it available*. Distributing it is one way to do
that, and is usual for smaller programs, but requiring the
source code to be included would kill the idea of Linux
distributions that fit on a single floppy disk. Making it
available as a free download meets the requirements of the
GPL and all other open-source licenses.

thanks for the clarification.... so I'll change my question a bit :

The source of Toga and Fruit for Scid for Pocket PC does not seem available
for download, there is a toga_pocketpc.src.tgz available for download but it
does not look like a pocket pc version (no ppc specific includes, no changes
to original sources).

So I guess that "make it available" can also mean that "availalable only on
request" ?

Old October 9th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default New version of Scid

Gino a écrit :
Speaking of Open Source... I thought that one was supposed to distribute
Fruit & Toga's source with every port made of them.
Is it correct or not ?

Yes it is correct.

In this case, I'd be interested to see the Pocket PC's version of these
engines.

best

Just download latest Scid source tgz, and you'll get also all source
code related to Pocket PC.

Pascal

Old October 9th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Gino wrote:

Guy Macon http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote:

You are not required to *distribute* the source code, only
to *make it available*. Distributing it is one way to do
that, and is usual for smaller programs, but requiring the
source code to be included would kill the idea of Linux
distributions that fit on a single floppy disk. Making it
available as a free download meets the requirements of the
GPL and all other open-source licenses.

thanks for the clarification.... so I'll change my question a bit :

The source of Toga and Fruit for Scid for Pocket PC does not seem available
for download, there is a toga_pocketpc.src.tgz available for download but it
does not look like a pocket pc version (no ppc specific includes, no changes
to original sources).

So I guess that "make it available" can also mean that "availalable only on
request" ?

Unlike the case of a download on a website -- which meets the
requirements of the GPL and all other open-source licenses --
the following appleies to GPL only. Other OS licenses may have
different rules.

Under the GPL, You are allowed to ship a written offer for
source code. The offer has to be valid for at least three
years and for as long as you offer support, and you cannot
charge more than your costs. There are routers that have
Linux inside them, and the costs of including a CD with
source -- that almost nobody will use -- would be quite
large for such a high-volume item.

That being said, I doubt that this is a case where only an
offer of source code is included. Here is what I think the
situation is:

First, there is no such thing as Scid for Pocket PC,
The fellow who claims to be shipping Scid for Pocket PC is
actually shiiping a fork derived from Scid and ChessDB.
He stole the name "Scid" without permission.

Second, he has demonstrated several times a profound ignorance
of what is and is not allowed under the GPL license, so don't
be surprised if he is shipping Toga and/or Fruit without
including or offering source code. Then again, I wouldn't be
surprised if the source is included and you missed it.

I do have a question. You say "no ppc specific includes" but
on his website http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/ he says that
"Pocket PC code is merged with Scid one (use of #define WINCE)
except Toga's code." That sounds like a ppc specific include
to me. I am not interested enough to spend any time researching
this, but I am idly curious.

--
Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/