Old October 8th 07, 07:37 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Are you facing problem playing at GetClub Chess.

I find after the site was improved not many people play Chess at
GetClub. Is the site not working properly?

Try Chess at: http://www.getclub.com/Chess.html

Once you login you can either look for human opponent or just click a
Level to play with Computer. Are you finding it difficult to play at
GetClub?

Bye
Sanny

Play Chess at: http://www.getclub.com/Chess.html

Old October 8th 07, 11:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 8, 1:37 am, Sanny wrote:
I find after the site was improved not many people play Chess at
GetClub. Is the site not working properly?

Apart from the problem of getting a "choose level"
screen twice when reconnecting to a game in progress,
I thought it was working fairly well.

My "current" game though seems locked up; I am
two moves from delivering checkmate, by my
calculation, and the program will not make a move
though I have reconnected numerous times to let it
think long and hard. Thus, I was unable to rack up
*any* points after a full night of tussling with the
Master level! (Now that's a tough opponent.) This
is why I normally play the three weaker levels, so I
can finish a game or two in one sitting.

-- help bot

Old October 9th 07, 09:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

*any* points after a full night of tussling with the
Master level! (Now that's a tough opponent.) This
is why I normally play the three weaker levels, so I
can finish a game or two in one sitting.

-- help bot

Instead of playing with Master level you should play with Normal
Level. Master takes 5-10 min/move while Normal takes just 2-3 min /
move. So you can finish 2 games with normal level in the time you take
one game to finish with Master Level.

Play Chess at: http://www.getclub.com/Chess.html

Beginner=1/3 points == 0.3 points/win
Normal = 2 points/win. So 1 Game with normal level gives as much point
as winning 6 games of Beginner Level.
and Master 3 points/win

So just play 2 Games with Normal Level daily and you will earn 2*2=4
points that is about 12 wins with Beginner Level.

It is easy to win 2 Games with Normal Level than Playing 12 Games with
Beginner. You only have limited number of free Games. So it is wise to
play Normal. Even if you play 30 Games with Normal Level in a month
you will get 60 Points {assuming you win all}. Else you have to play
180 Games with Beginner Level to get 60 points.

And you only have arround 120 free games to play So if you play all
with Beginner Level you will get only 40 points. If you play all with
Normal Level you can get 240 points. So you will get more Prizes and
you have more chances of playing free games.

However if you still want to play with beginner level then your free
games get Exhausted and you need to purchase 100 games for just $10.

Old October 9th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Analyze this Game

Here is a game between Easy level and Jester. Please Analyze it for
mistakes done by GetClub Chess.

White: Jester
Black Easy Level (GetClub)

Played at: http://www.getclub.com/Chess.html

Recorded Game: http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...786&game=Chess

1.e2-e4 e7-e5
2.d2-d4 e5xd4
3.Qd1xd4 Nb8-c6
4.Qd4-e3 Ng8-f6
5.Bc1-d2 Nf6-g4
6.Qe3-f4 h7-h5
7.Bf1-c4 Nc6-e5
8.Bc4-e2 Bf8-d6
9.Qf4-g3 Qd8-f6
10.f2-f4 Ne5-g6
11.e4-e5 Ng6xe5
12.Bd2-c3 h5-h4
13.Qg3xg4 Ne5xg4
14.Bc3xf6 Ng4xf6
15.Ng1-h3 Nf6-d5
16.Ke1-g1 Nd5-e3
17.Rf1-c1 Ne3-d5
18.Rc1-f1 Nd5-e3
19.Rf1-c1 Bd6-c5
20.Nh3-f2 Ne3-d5
21.f4-f5 Bc5xf2+
22.Kg1xf2 Ke8-g8
23.Rc1-d1 Nd5-f4
24.Nb1-c3 Nf4xe2
25.Nc3-d5 c7-c6
26.Nd5-e7+ Kg8-h8
27.Ne7xc8 Rf8xc8
28.Kf2xe2 d7-d5
29.Rd1-d4 Rc8-e8+
30.Ke2-d3 Re8-e4
31.Rd4xe4 d5xe4+
32.Kd3xe4 Ra8-d8
33.Ke4-e3 Rd8-d7
34.Ra1-f1 b7-b5
35.Rf1-f4 Kh8-g8
36.Rf4xh4 a7-a5
37.Rh4-e4 Rd7-d5
38.g2-g4 Kg8-f8
39.c2-c4 Rd5-d6
40.h2-h4 Rd6-d8
41.b2-b3 Kf8-g8
42.c4xb5 c6xb5
43.Re4-e5 Rd8-b8
44.Ke3-f4 Kg8-h7
45.Re5-e7 Rb8-d8
46.Re7xf7 Rd8-d2
47.Kf4-g5 Rd2xa2
48.f5-f6 Ra2-a3
49.Rf7xg7+ Kh7-h8
50.Kg5-h6 b5-b4
51.f6-f7 White Wins.

Recorded Game: http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...786&game=Chess

Can you see what mistakes GetClub made?

Old October 9th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 9, 12:13 pm, Sanny wrote:

Here is a game between Easy level and Jester. Please Analyze it for
mistakes done by GetClub Chess.

White: Jester
Black Easy Level (GetClub)

1.e2-e4 e7-e5
2.d2-d4

Unless White goes into something like the Goring
Gambit (developing, not taking on d4 with the Queen),
this is not good.

... e5xd4
3.Qd1xd4 Nb8-c6
4.Qd4-e3 Ng8-f6

Both Black Knights are developed rapidly and to
their proper squares -- so far, so good. White
chose a poor square for his Queen to retreat to;
a better one was her original post on d1.

5.Bc1-d2 Nf6-g4

Uh-oh. There is no point in chasing the Queen
off its (exposed) square (e3); Black should develop
his pieces rapidly and figure on exploiting the
Queen's position later on.

6.Qe3-f4 h7-h5

Is there a bonus for invading enemy territory?
One Knight, by itself, cannot accomplish much.

7.Bf1-c4 Nc6-e5
8.Bc4-e2 Bf8-d6
9.Qf4-g3 Qd8-f6
10.f2-f4

I don't have a board, and am trying to visualize
this blindfolded, so to speak. It seems as though
both sides are intent of self-destruction, and the
concept of "normal development" is a complete
stranger to them both. I get the distinct feeling
that both programs are giving themselves a hefty
bonus for aggressive, attacking moves, even if
such moves are very bad. Instead of developing
and then castling to safety, they are conducting
some crazy tactical swashbuckling with only a
very few pieces.

Can you see what mistakes GetClub made?

I would definitely have to look at this with a
chessboard. Better still, because it is so messy,
I would have to let Fritz look at it while I look. :D

-- help bot

Old October 9th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:43:22 -0700, help bot
wrote:

On Oct 9, 12:13 pm, Sanny wrote:

Here is a game between Easy level and Jester. Please Analyze it for
mistakes done by GetClub Chess.

White: Jester
Black Easy Level (GetClub)

1.e2-e4 e7-e5
2.d2-d4

Unless White goes into something like the Goring
Gambit (developing, not taking on d4 with the Queen),
this is not good.

... e5xd4
3.Qd1xd4 Nb8-c6
4.Qd4-e3 Ng8-f6

Both Black Knights are developed rapidly and to
their proper squares -- so far, so good. White
chose a poor square for his Queen to retreat to;
a better one was her original post on d1.

C'mon bot, White's fourth is the main line in the Center Game. It was
played at one time or another, often more than once, by Paulsen,
Tarrasch, Chigorin, Maroczy, Marshall, Spielmann, Tartakower, and
more recently Shabalov and Judith Polgar.
Old October 9th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

wrote:

On Oct 9, 12:13 pm, Sanny wrote:

[...]

4.Qd4-e3 was also a favorite of Winawer's.

Old October 9th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

help bot wrote:
On Oct 8, 1:37 am, Sanny wrote:
I find after the site was improved not many people play Chess at
GetClub. Is the site not working properly?

Apart from the problem of getting a "choose level"
screen twice when reconnecting to a game in progress,
I thought it was working fairly well.

My "current" game though seems locked up; I am
two moves from delivering checkmate, by my
calculation, and the program will not make a move
though I have reconnected numerous times to let it
think long and hard. Thus, I was unable to rack up
*any* points after a full night of tussling with the
Master level! (Now that's a tough opponent.) This
is why I normally play the three weaker levels, so I
can finish a game or two in one sitting.

-- help bot

So...it's just the same as it's always been?

--
Kenneth Sloan
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170
Old October 10th 07, 08:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 9, 12:13 pm, Sanny wrote:
[...]

Let's look at the very end of this game, shall we?

White walked his King up to threaten a mating attack,
and Black "saw nothing" and sauntered over to the far
end to snack on some pawns. Even when the mate is
just a few moves away, Black still "saw no problems"
and chowed down some more.

Look at 45. Re7; this move attacks an undefended
pawn, intending to munch next move. How did Black
reply? He ignored the threat completely, moving his
Rook to an open file. It appears as though Black is
not looking at the opponent's moves at all, but just
doing his own thing (here, eating pawns whenever
possible). Only when it was mate-next-move did we
see the Beginner level halt the game by resignation,
apparently noticing the problem.

Now, I understand that Beginner level does not
exactly "go deep", but it should nonetheless at least
be *attempting* to minimize the damage by defending
attacked pawns and pieces when possible.

This indicates that there is a serious problem still
with elementary tactics. No chess program -- even
a Java applet on Beginner level -- should be having
such problems if the programmers have implemented
tactical "check and capture" search extensions
correctly. Heck, my computer will often go up as
high as 8 or 9 plys in under a second, and that is
finished searches, where the check and capture
extensions may have gone much, much deeper.

-------------------------------

But this game does show one positive thing: if you
replay these moves on a much stronger program
you will find that the score went back and forth, the
two programs apparently being reasonably closely
matched. When one program is vastly superior, the
trend generally is that it grabs the advantage quickly,
and then increases it on almost every turn; that is
certainly not what happened here -- far from it.

-- help bot

Old October 10th 07, 09:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

But this game does show one positive thing: if you
replay these moves on a much stronger program
you will find that the score went back and forth, the
two programs apparently being reasonably closely
matched. When one program is vastly superior, the
trend generally is that it grabs the advantage quickly,
and then increases it on almost every turn; that is
certainly not what happened here -- far from it.

Now game improved with more details on tactics. Now even beginner
Level will give good challenge. And Easy & Normal Level will play very
strongly.

Play Chess at:http://www.getclub.com/Chess.html

I play one game with Beginner Level. It took 50 moves to win Beginner
Level. Earlier Jester used to beat in just 30-40 moves. Now It takes
the fight till 50 moves.

So You are going to get more stronger opponent from now on.

Here is the recorded game http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...840&game=Chess

I cannot write all moves as there were 53 moves. Just see how good
beginner defended its position despite being 2 pawns down.