Old April 5th 04, 09:39 PM
ChessliB

Default Sorry - the databases are down

At least three sites are stealing bandwidth linking
directly to my free database downloads - pretending
that the files are their own.

Until I have a mechanism in place to protect the files,
they will be offline.

-af-

Old April 6th 04, 05:38 AM
Noah Roberts

ChessliB wrote:
At least three sites are stealing bandwidth linking
directly to my free database downloads - pretending
that the files are their own.

Until I have a mechanism in place to protect the files,
they will be offline.

This should be relatively easy if you have PHP. Have a script that
sends an error if the referring url is not in your domain, otherwise
send the database file data. Put the database files themselves in an
area unreachable by the public. Then the server can't actually serve
the file unless it goes through the script.

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

Old April 6th 04, 09:56 AM
ChessliB

"Noah Roberts" wrote in message
ChessliB wrote:
At least three sites are stealing bandwidth linking
directly to my free database downloads - pretending
that the files are their own.

Until I have a mechanism in place to protect the files,
they will be offline.

This should be relatively easy if you have PHP. Have a script that
sends an error if the referring url is not in your domain, otherwise
send the database file data. Put the database files themselves in an
area unreachable by the public. Then the server can't actually serve
the file unless it goes through the script.

Thank you for the hint - I just moved the files, installed PHP and Schlabo's
DL-script. I can think of a few ways around this "protection", but it
is probably sufficient for my use. The files are back online.

-af-