Old April 6th 04, 08:46 PM
Alexander Erlich

Default Online-community for beginners

Hello!

I'm not (yet) very good at chess, but I'm interested in this game. Since I
got noone to play with I'm searchin for an online-communityI could play
with. Could you recommend me one where it is e.g. tolerated that I need a
very long time for drawing?

Hope for an answer.

Regards
Alexander

Old April 7th 04, 12:11 AM
Benjamin Jordan

"Juha Kettunen" wrote in message

"Alexander Erlich" wrote in message
Hello!

I'm not (yet) very good at chess, but I'm interested in this game. Since

got noone to play with I'm searchin for an online-communityI could play
with. Could you recommend me one where it is e.g. tolerated that I need

very long time for drawing?

Hope for an answer.

how about FISC (online chess)?

What kind of an experience could a beginner expect on FICS? I used Yahoo
and quit... I got tired of the constant poor sportsmanship and 1.e4 e5 2.
Qh5

Old April 7th 04, 12:25 AM
Dave B

In fairness if you get on a good server like freechess.org then it will be
OK. The competition would be a bit stiff at first - I should know, my rating
is only four figures by the grace of God :P - but there doesn't tend to be
many morons, they weed them out and get rid. On top of that, there are
lectures and so on that are excellent for learners. I returned to playing
just a month ago after a lay off of almost 2 decades and have learnt an
awful lot. Even if it was from taking a few hidings and watching a few
lectures.

As with everything else, the more time you can put in the better it gets but
just for a social game of chess you can't seem to go wrong with
freechess.org or www.chessanytime.com is a reasonable second-best (although
the competition there is polarised - either fabulous and unbeatable or dire
and you will win playing nonsense).

So for the benefit of Alexander and anyone else, here's what I did. I got
myself a copy of iNemesis (easy to find with Google and so forth) and
registered a name on www.freechess.org and got going. Once you have got to
grips with the software and the notations and so forth it will go well, just
seek out longer games. I even took part in a 45 0 (45 minute a side game)
tournament which was a bit long-winded for me personally but might be useful
for yourself.

Then I got a pint of Guinness (that probably didn't help my chess much
though ) but that's optional

All the best and I hope it all goes well for you

Dave Brooks
Evertonian and Englishman - yes I will be celebrating St. George's Day
wearing my national shirt. It doesn't make me a racist, it makes me proud of
what I am.

Old April 7th 04, 02:17 AM
Juha Kettunen

"Benjamin Jordan" wrote in message

"Juha Kettunen" wrote in message

"Alexander Erlich" wrote in message
Hello!

I'm not (yet) very good at chess, but I'm interested in this game.

Since
got noone to play with I'm searchin for an online-communityI could

play
with. Could you recommend me one where it is e.g. tolerated that I

need
very long time for drawing?

Hope for an answer.

how about FISC (online chess)?

What kind of an experience could a beginner expect on FICS? I used Yahoo
and quit... I got tired of the constant poor sportsmanship and 1.e4 e5

2.
Qh5

is this a bad move ..?

Old April 7th 04, 09:10 AM
Jonathan Beckett

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 21:46:35 +0200, "Alexander Erlich"
wrote:

Hello!

I'm not (yet) very good at chess, but I'm interested in this game. Since I
got noone to play with I'm searchin for an online-communityI could play
with. Could you recommend me one where it is e.g. tolerated that I need a
very long time for drawing?

Have you thought about playing correspondence chess on the internet?
It's not as boring as it might sound - imagine twenty people start a
tournament, but you all play each other at the same time, and have
(for example) 5 days limit per move...

I joined www.chessworld.net a while ago and it's great - you get to
really think about your moves, and if you're not sure you can always
walk away and have another look at the position tomorrow.

Alternatively, if you want to join a new forum, visit
www.madaboutchess.com and be one of the first posters in the forums!

Jon Beckett
Old April 7th 04, 03:38 PM
Matthew

I thin the thought is the move is played hoping for this continuation:
1. e4 e5 2. Qh5 g6 3. Qxe5+ Ne7 4. Qxh8

It is generally not a good idea to put your queen out in the open so early.
She can be harassed while her opponent develops.

Matthew

Old April 8th 04, 07:25 PM
Marcos

What is the issue with Yahoo Chess? I mean unless you're above 1800 or
so, which I surely am not, I can usually play game after game after
game. And I rarely see the same person twice.

The difference is Yahoo Chess has about 5-10 times the amount of
people playing at any one time as any other service. There are
typically about 9,000 players playing at any one time.

Just wondering.

Old April 14th 04, 02:24 AM
Jim Grieve

Alaxander - I've found gameknot.com to be very pleasant. Its free and doesn't
require any software. You van check on your games anywhere you can get to a
web browser. Defaults to a 3-day move cycle, but many people play make therir
moves every day (or more often). I think its $30 per year if you want the
full membership, unlimited games at a time, storage of your games, etc.

Jim

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 15:46:35 -0400, Alexander Erlich wrote
(in message ):

Hello!

I'm not (yet) very good at chess, but I'm interested in this game. Since I
got noone to play with I'm searchin for an online-communityI could play
with. Could you recommend me one where it is e.g. tolerated that I need a
very long time for drawing?

Hope for an answer.

Regards
Alexander

Posted with Hogwasher. Mac first, Mac only:
http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product....hogwasher.html