Old October 19th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default end game?

Hi,

How does one determine wether the end game was reached?

Old October 22nd 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

How does one determine wether the end game was reached?

I for myself look on the board and draw my conclusions.

Alex

Old October 23rd 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

In article ,
Folkert van Heusden wrote:
How does one determine wether the end game was reached?

Er, the same way as one determines whether the middlegame has been
reached? What is the context of your question? Are you trying to use
a different evaluation function for the endgame and wanting to know
when to switch to that function?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Accelerated Happy Smokes (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a pack of cigarettes that makes
Old October 24th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I have wondered too when the end game starts. Do you have a certain
amount of pieces left ?

Old October 25th 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

SAT W-7 wrote:
I have wondered too when the end game starts. Do you have a certain
amount of pieces left ?

`When does the endgame start?' is a question that is almost as useless
as `It this art?'

Dave.

--
David Richerby Old-Fashioned Moistened Atlas (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a map of the world but

Old October 25th 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

In article ,
Folkert van Heusden wrote:

How does one determine wether the end game was reached?

Generally (although there are exceptions) when the king starts to take
an active role instead of just being defended.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk
Old October 25th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

David Richerby wrote:
SAT W-7 wrote:
I have wondered too when the end game starts. Do you have a certain
amount of pieces left ?

`When does the endgame start?' is a question that is almost as useless
as `It this art?'

Dave.

And the answer is the same: "I don't know - but I can recognize it when
I see it."

--
Kenneth Sloan
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170
Old October 25th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Kenneth Sloan wrote:
David Richerby wrote:
`When does the endgame start?' is a question that is almost as
useless as `It this art?'

And the answer is the same: "I don't know - but I can recognize it
when I see it."

Nono, that's the answer to `Is this pornography?'

Dave.

--
David Richerby Incredible Revolting Umbrella (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like an umbrella but it'll turn
Old October 25th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

David Richerby wrote:
Kenneth Sloan wrote:
David Richerby wrote:
`When does the endgame start?' is a question that is almost as
useless as `It this art?'

And the answer is the same: "I don't know - but I can recognize it
when I see it."

Nono, that's the answer to `Is this pornography?'

Dave.

Isn't that what you said?

--
Kenneth Sloan
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170
Old November 2nd 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

How does one determine wether the end game was reached?

Er, the same way as one determines whether the middlegame has been
reached? What is the context of your question? Are you trying to use
a different evaluation function for the endgame and wanting to know
when to switch to that function?

Yes, that is correct.