ChessBanter

ChessBanter (https://www.chessbanter.com/)
-   rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) (https://www.chessbanter.com/rec-games-chess-computer-computer-chess/)
-   -   How to compile Crafty (Win32) (https://www.chessbanter.com/rec-games-chess-computer-computer-chess/3123-how-compile-crafty-win32.html)

WebWalker April 11th 04 11:44 AM

How to compile Crafty (Win32)
 

The makefile has changed in the Crafty's recent version.
Can someone please post the instruction to compile Crafty in MS Visual
C++ 6 ?

I have no problem of compiling the Crafty v19.10 but not the version
19.11 and 19.12. The instruction (as below) posted by Simon is no longer
working :-

Well if you have nmake and Visual C++ it is pretty easy.

extract all the files to a directory from the archive.

Choose open workspace from the file menu, navigate to where you stored the
crafty files and open the makefile.nt

It will mention something about a wrapper project, just click 'yes'

Select Project/Settings then the General tab, and change the build command
to

nmake /f makefile.nt

Select build all from the 'build' menu, and you should get an .exe file.

You can modify some of the parameters in the makefile to optimize a little,
but this should get you started.

(I've just done it today, and it does work..)

Regards

Simon



--
WebWalker

PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279

anhedonist April 11th 04 02:16 PM

How to compile Crafty (Win32)
 
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:44:23 +0800, WebWalker wrote:


The makefile has changed in the Crafty's recent version.
Can someone please post the instruction to compile Crafty in MS Visual
C++ 6 ?

I have no problem of compiling the Crafty v19.10 but not the version
19.11 and 19.12. The instruction (as below) posted by Simon is no longer
working :-


Can you advise what error(s) you are getting when compiling?



SG April 11th 04 02:37 PM

How to compile Crafty (Win32)
 
WebWalker wrote:
The makefile has changed in the Crafty's recent version.
Can someone please post the instruction to compile Crafty in MS Visual
C++ 6 ?

I have no problem of compiling the Crafty v19.10 but not the version
19.11 and 19.12. The instruction (as below) posted by Simon is no longer
working :-


It's not the makefile but the boolean.c source that was changed in 19.11
and now fails to compile.
I have replaced all occurrences of INLINE_ASM with VC_INLINE_ASM and got
a clean compile... but not sure about the logic :-) ...I hope Dr. Hyatt
will tell us more.

Steve

WebWalker April 11th 04 04:40 PM

How to compile Crafty (Win32)
 
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:37:27 GMT, SG wrote:

WebWalker wrote:
The makefile has changed in the Crafty's recent version.
Can someone please post the instruction to compile Crafty in MS Visual
C++ 6 ?

I have no problem of compiling the Crafty v19.10 but not the version
19.11 and 19.12. The instruction (as below) posted by Simon is no longer
working :-


It's not the makefile but the boolean.c source that was changed in 19.11
and now fails to compile.
I have replaced all occurrences of INLINE_ASM with VC_INLINE_ASM and got
a clean compile... but not sure about the logic :-) ...I hope Dr. Hyatt
will tell us more.


Previous he is using "USE_ASSEMBLY" instead of "INLINE_ASM".

--
WebWalker

PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279

SG April 12th 04 04:30 PM

How to compile Crafty (Win32)
 
WebWalker wrote:

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:37:27 GMT, SG wrote:


WebWalker wrote:

The makefile has changed in the Crafty's recent version.
Can someone please post the instruction to compile Crafty in MS Visual
C++ 6 ?

I have no problem of compiling the Crafty v19.10 but not the version
19.11 and 19.12. The instruction (as below) posted by Simon is no longer
working :-


It's not the makefile but the boolean.c source that was changed in 19.11
and now fails to compile.
I have replaced all occurrences of INLINE_ASM with VC_INLINE_ASM and got
a clean compile... but not sure about the logic :-) ...I hope Dr. Hyatt
will tell us more.



Previous he is using "USE_ASSEMBLY" instead of "INLINE_ASM".


Yes, and its replacement "INLINE_ASM" in the first #IF statement is
causing an additional and incorrect definition of the 3 functions
already defined in the "vcinline.h" header file.

Using "VC_INLINE_ASM" will prevent this problem.

Steve

Mikko Nummelin April 13th 04 07:15 AM

How to compile Crafty (Win32)
 
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, WebWalker wrote:

The makefile has changed in the Crafty's recent version. Can someone
please post the instruction to compile Crafty in MS Visual C++ 6 ?


I don't have MSVC, but I have written a patch allowing compilation with
MinGW or Cygwin. The patch is introduced in message


(Crafty-19.11 for MinGW)

What actually is important when compiling Crafty for Windows is to tweak
the makefile so that macro WIN32 is defined. Otherwise it might happen
that makefiles will try to build some Unix-specific code into the program,
not working in MS Windows.


Mikko Nummelin

snoofly April 20th 04 03:41 PM

How to compile Crafty (Win32)
 
fyi you can download the ms vc .net 2000 c++ compiler for free now

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Mikko Nummelin wrote:
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, WebWalker wrote:


The makefile has changed in the Crafty's recent version. Can someone
please post the instruction to compile Crafty in MS Visual C++ 6 ?



I don't have MSVC, but I have written a patch allowing compilation with
MinGW or Cygwin. The patch is introduced in message


(Crafty-19.11 for MinGW)

What actually is important when compiling Crafty for Windows is to tweak
the makefile so that macro WIN32 is defined. Otherwise it might happen
that makefiles will try to build some Unix-specific code into the program,
not working in MS Windows.


Mikko Nummelin


snoofly April 20th 04 03:45 PM

How to compile Crafty (Win32)
 
btw, if you need midl.exe, install the sdk:

http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/...pdate/home.htm

if you need ml.exe install the assembler:

http://webhost.ccp.com/~win32/hutch/masm32v8.zip

Mikko Nummelin wrote:

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, WebWalker wrote:


The makefile has changed in the Crafty's recent version. Can someone
please post the instruction to compile Crafty in MS Visual C++ 6 ?



I don't have MSVC, but I have written a patch allowing compilation with
MinGW or Cygwin. The patch is introduced in message


(Crafty-19.11 for MinGW)

What actually is important when compiling Crafty for Windows is to tweak
the makefile so that macro WIN32 is defined. Otherwise it might happen
that makefiles will try to build some Unix-specific code into the program,
not working in MS Windows.


Mikko Nummelin


Mikko Nummelin April 20th 04 08:14 PM

How to compile Crafty (Win32)
 
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, snoofly wrote:

fyi you can download the ms vc .net 2000 c++ compiler for free now

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Mikko Nummelin wrote:


On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, WebWalker wrote:


The makefile has changed in the Crafty's recent version. Can someone
please post the instruction to compile Crafty in MS Visual C++ 6 ?


I don't have MSVC, but I have written a patch allowing compilation with
MinGW or Cygwin. The patch is introduced in message



(Crafty-19.11 for MinGW)


What actually is important when compiling Crafty for Windows is to tweak
the makefile so that macro WIN32 is defined. Otherwise it might happen
that makefiles will try to build some Unix-specific code into the program,
not working in MS Windows.


Thank you very much for the information but I understood that the problem
was in fact that the compilation system was overall so broken it didn't
allow ANY Windows-compilation. I therefore suggested a way it can be done
to my knowledge with MSYS/MinGW or Cygwin and also noted that when
creating that patch I noted the importance of WIN32 -macro for all
Windows-targets.


Mikko Nummelin


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-6 ChessBanter.com