Old April 16th 04, 04:16 PM
Mike Leahy

Default WINE and Bookup?

Have you run Bookup under WINE and had trouble with the chess fonts?

I have one Linux user who has the Bookup rate font used for everything in
the GUI including the menus. Very odd.

How does one remove a Windows font in WINE?

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com

Old April 16th 04, 05:59 PM
Cesar A. K. Grossmann

Mike Leahy wrote:

How does one remove a Windows font in WINE?

Try looking for help at comp.os.linux.* (I think there's a group for
wine users, but I cannot recall the name). BTW, try to provide more
information, like the version of WINE, the X server used, the X Font
Server used, and the Linux distribution (Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, etc.).

As a suggestion:

1. try to form a Linux knowledgebase for your program, I think that with
time more people will give Linux a try or will buy LindowOS, and some of
then will try to install and run your program. You will need to compile
information about: how to install, how to install the TTF chess fonts,
what alternatives (non-TTF) fonts can be used, how to uninstall, and
general troubleshooting for your program.

2. What about porting Bookup to Linux? Contrary to what some companies
told on the Internet, that doesn't mean that you have to open the source
code of it to the public. In fact, there are a lot of programs that are
closed-source (shareware, freeware, payware) in Linux (Lotus Domino,
Oracle products, Adobe Acrobat Reader, etc.). I'm not such a big (or
even a smaller one) programmer, but I can give you one or two clues
about it, I think...

P.S.: Sorry for the english...
[]s
--
..O. Cesar A. K. Grossmann ICQ UIN: 35659423
...O http://www.LinuxByGrossmann.cjb.net/
Old April 16th 04, 07:32 PM
Mike Leahy

"Cesar A. K. Grossmann" wrote in message
Mike Leahy wrote:

How does one remove a Windows font in WINE?

Try looking for help at comp.os.linux.* (I think there's a group for
wine users, but I cannot recall the name). BTW, try to provide more
information, like the version of WINE, the X server used, the X Font
Server used, and the Linux distribution (Red Hat, Slackware, Debian,

etc.).

Most users don't have problems running Bookup under the latest WINE. I'll
admit that I don't do Linux... yet, so I was just interested in whether
anyone else had seen this kind of behavior.

As a suggestion:

1. try to form a Linux knowledgebase for your program, I think that with
time more people will give Linux a try or will buy LindowOS, and some of
then will try to install and run your program. You will need to compile
information about: how to install, how to install the TTF chess fonts,
what alternatives (non-TTF) fonts can be used, how to uninstall, and
general troubleshooting for your program.

Good suggestion. Currently Bookup's installer adds the TTF chess fonts, and
no alternative fonts are available. I'll have to ask Bookup users for those
using it with Linux.

2. What about porting Bookup to Linux?

More work than I can handle at the moment. Bookup source code is available
commercially in Delphi and I would imagine that porting to Kylix for Linux
would not be terribly difficult.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com

Old April 16th 04, 08:10 PM
Cesar A. K. Grossmann

Mike Leahy wrote:

Most users don't have problems running Bookup under the latest WINE. I'll
admit that I don't do Linux... yet, so I was just interested in whether
anyone else had seen this kind of behavior.

All fonts in X being the font distributed with Bookup? Sounds like a
corruption in some X Fonts Server configuration files. If I had this
problem, the first thing I would do is to go to http://www.tldp.org/
looking for a HOWTO explaining how the fonts works on X (I think that
there is one on the theme, but don't want to spoil the hunt).

Other thing that can do is to use the packate tool of the distro to
check if there is some corrupted file (rpm do it with md5sum/checksum).
After finding the corrupted/altered file, first step would be to look at
it and see if it can be recovered by hand (Linux/Unix tradition is to
have plain text files to configure things, so you can edit and change it
by hand, if you know what to change).

If the X Fonts is OK and the problem persists, I would look to the
configuration files for the inteface (KDE/GNOME/WindowMaker/etc.) being
used. For example, if all users are experiencing the same problem (Linux
*is* a multiuser operating system, and this is one aspect you will need
to work in Bookup to port it to Linux), then I would look for global
configuration files. If the problem is with only one user, then I would
look to his/her particular configuration files.

Good suggestion. Currently Bookup's installer adds the TTF chess fonts, and
no alternative fonts are available. I'll have to ask Bookup users for those
using it with Linux.

Look for PostScript Type1 Fonts. There are other fonts that can be used,
I know that the LaTeX package has a package for writing chess
books/articles, with figurine notation and diagrams.

More work than I can handle at the moment. Bookup source code is available
commercially in Delphi and I would imagine that porting to Kylix for Linux
would not be terribly difficult.

Nothing that a good programmer cannot do in some 3 months, if the
program is well written. As you already know, there are this Kylix thing
for Linux.

P.S.: Sorry for the "engrish".
[]s