Old April 19th 04, 09:48 AM
Evgeny

Default Fritz 8 Update

The new update is out:
http://www.playchess.com/updates/GUI8.iup
What is new there ?
Old April 19th 04, 03:59 PM
JeffS

"Evgeny" wrote in message
om...
The new update is out:
http://www.playchess.com/updates/GUI8.iup
What is new there ?

Thanks. Now just need Nonyz to perform his anti-cd magic on
this latest upgrade.

Old April 19th 04, 07:23 PM
JeffS

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.84...
"JeffS" wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

Thanks. Now just need Nonyz to perform his anti-cd magic on
this latest upgrade.

There's no need to insert a CD after the upgrade.

--
CeeBee

This will be a first then. In the past, every time I've installed an
upgrade, and
then tried to load an engine (e.g. Shredder, Junior, etc.) a box pops up
that
prompts you to load a CD. No CD, and the engine won't load.

Old April 20th 04, 03:55 PM
Euclid

Default Fritz 8 Update is buggy (& Shredder 8 too...)

FYI, this new native CB GUI update is not properly integrated with Windows
XP, so any "exceptions" (errors) that happen will go unnoticed by the
Windows XP op system. Ordinarily such exceptions are recorded in windows
logs which can be accessed later via Dr. Watson and/or Administrative Tools,
Event Viewer, to assist in diagnosing the errors. But you can't do that with
this latest GUI update. You may get an error message from the GUI itself,
maybe not. After an exception, the GUI may cease to function properly,
without letting you know the reason (i.e. that a previous error condition
happened). Yes, there are exceptions (errors) with this new GUI update, and
it's quite buggy in fact - particularly relating to hash size, tablebase
access, and Infinite Analysis mode.

Another observation is that this GUI update changes several files in the
Chessprogram8 folder. In my experience prior GUI updates only changed the
chessprogram8.exe file, but that's no longer true. Interestingly (?) the
shortcut that you used to start the GUI prior to the update will no longer
work after the update, so you must use (or make) a/the new shortcut. It
appears to point to the same target, but it doesn't work! I don't know the
reason, but probably involves some of the other files that were changed, and
is maybe part of their overall protection paranoia.

I'm trying the new native CB GUI update with Shredder 8, but it doesn't work
very well. In contrast the Classic Shredder 6 GUI (that came with Shredder
7) works flawlessly, without any GUI bugs whatsoever that I've noticed. I
suspect that the recent offering of an updated Classic Shredder GUI is also
bug-free, but I've only tried it a few times:
http://www.shredderchess.com/index.html
-E

Old April 21st 04, 10:47 AM
Peter Vass

According to my experiments, I found 4 of them:

1. Show the international space station ISS in globe window
2. It is possible to hide all colums to right from a particular column in
the players, games and challenges list
3. New option in simultaneous exhibitions - All games white for the
simultaneous player
4. Clock and last move information directly in the photorealistic 3D board
window

Maybe some others too, not yet discovered... :-)

Peter

"Evgeny" píse v diskusním príspevku

Old April 25th 04, 03:44 AM
Thomas

"Euclid" wrote in message thlink.net...
FYI, this new native CB GUI update is not properly integrated with Windows
XP, so any "exceptions" (errors) that happen will go unnoticed by the
Windows XP op system. Ordinarily such exceptions are recorded in windows
logs which can be accessed later via Dr. Watson and/or Administrative Tools,
Event Viewer, to assist in diagnosing the errors. But you can't do that with
this latest GUI update. You may get an error message from the GUI itself,
maybe not. After an exception, the GUI may cease to function properly,
without letting you know the reason (i.e. that a previous error condition
happened). Yes, there are exceptions (errors) with this new GUI update, and
it's quite buggy in fact - particularly relating to hash size, tablebase
access, and Infinite Analysis mode.

Euclid, I shudder to think that someone, somewhere, listens to your
techno-speak... In my lifetime as a developer I've never heard of a
"properly integrated" way of programming as it is described here;
while an app _could_ write to an event log it certainly isn't a
standard. Frankly any application -- unless it's an OS or otherwise
integrated application (such as IIS, Explorer, device driver, et.al.)
-- should have sufficient exception handling and never bubble up to
the OS level.
Old April 25th 04, 07:07 AM
Euclid

"Thomas" wrote in message
om...
"Euclid" wrote in message
thlink.net...
[...]

______________

Of course there is a proper, structured, and integrated method of designing
algorithms and writing code, and certain debugging settings/methods are
required to compile it and keep it compatible with op systems such as
Windows XP. Unfortunately the programmers of the Chessbase GUI have now made
it impossible to use the Windows XP debugging tools with their software,
while providing nothing to replace them. Their latest GUI has no exception
handling. If you get an error, the GUI may just stop working for unknown
reasons.
-E

Old April 26th 04, 12:43 AM
Thomas

"Euclid" wrote in message nk.net...
Of course there is a proper, structured, and integrated method of designing
algorithms and writing code, and certain debugging settings/methods are
required to compile it and keep it compatible with op systems such as
Windows XP. Unfortunately the programmers of the Chessbase GUI have now made
it impossible to use the Windows XP debugging tools with their software,
while providing nothing to replace them. Their latest GUI has no exception
handling. If you get an error, the GUI may just stop working for unknown
reasons.
-E

Whoa: there *is* a proper and structured way of writing code,
especially in an OOP world. That's not the same as a "proper way of
integrating into the OS," which is jibberish.

"and certain debugging settings/methods are required to compile it"

Eh? You're not compiling anything (unless it's some type of IL in
which case you could argue you're doing some compilation, but that's a
technicality). You're throwing words together.

While I'm not doubting the latest GUI has bugs, that's not to say it
has NO exception handling. It very likely has tons of exception
handling, it's hard to say. Also, exception handling can be
implemented any number of ways. Keep in mind, too, without source
code or IL of some sort, not much debugging can be done.
Old April 26th 04, 05:38 AM
Euclid

Default CeeBee = Chessbase shill (n/t)

..

Old April 26th 04, 05:41 AM
Euclid

"Thomas" wrote in message
om...
"Euclid" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

It's "hard to say"? It sounds like you're talking in generalities, not me.
Have you tested the GUI in question to look for exceptions or exception
handling? I doubt it. Sounds like you're another wolf in sheep's clothing
working for Chessbase under the table (like CeeBee).
-E