Old April 20th 04, 06:57 AM
Douglas L Stewart

Default using Bookup to monitor new opening developments

I own Bookup Professional. I've read through the Bookup website a number of
times and I've been through some of the online help, and I'm still not quite
following how to monitor developments in my opening repertoire. Right now I
just use Bookup to key in my opening reptertoire - using the training
feature occasionally.

Here's what I tried:

* I grabbed a copy of TWIC as a PGN
* I created a book called Douglas Black Novelties and I imported in the TWIC
PGN - letting it mark novelties as yellow

Okay, so now the novelties are all marked yellow. Now the questions that
beg to be asked:

* How do I mark in my book that I'm not interested in novelties in various
lines? For instance, let's say I play 1. d4 Nf6 and I want to ignore 1 ..
d5. The best idea I've come up with is to add moves I'm not interested in
as some other color, and import to yet another book after importing the
TWIC, filtering out on the other color.
* How do I work my way through all the yellow novelties without having to
just click randomly though the book to find them?

---
Douglas L Stewart

Old April 21st 04, 08:00 AM
John

Hi Douglas,

These things are not possible with Bookup.

John

Old April 21st 04, 09:11 PM
Mike Ogush

Hi Douglas,

There is a way to accomplish what you want but it requires the use of
software other than BookUp - namely Chessbase.

1. keep your repertoire for white and for black in separate BookUp
books.
2. Create two repertoire databases in Chessbase - one for your
repertoire as white and one for black.
3. In Chessbase search your collection of new games (whether obtained
from TWIC or elsewhere) for any games matching the repertoire database
and save the games in a separate database. [Do this for both white
and black repertoires and put results in two separate databases in PGN
format, say white.pgn and black.pgn]]
4. Merge white.pgn into the BookUp book for your white repertoire
flagging novelties as you described. Merge black.pgn into the BookUp
book for your repertoire as black in the same way.

Note: Look at Steve Lopez' Technical notes for Chessbase products
(available at www.chessbase.com and www.chessbaseusa.com) to answer
any questions about using Chessbase for steps 2 and 3.

Mike Ogush

Old April 22nd 04, 03:54 AM
Douglas L Stewart

I do own Chessbase so I will give this a try. Thanks!

---
Douglas L Stewart

Old April 22nd 04, 01:21 PM
Mike Leahy

"Douglas L Stewart" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, you'll want to mark moves that you're not interested in with some other
color or just delete them. Of course, if you delete them then those moves
may be added back when you import future games so I like your idea of
leaving them in there already marked in your "not interested" color.

If you have the "power tools" edition of Bookup 2000 Professional then you
can clear an ebook of the color codes you pick. This allows you to navigate
the tree and change the color of the novelty-colored moves to mark them as
moves you're "not interested" in. Then have Bookup automatically clear the
entire ebook of the novelty color, meaning that you've seen these moves and
they are no longer novelties.

This approach is *exactly* what I had in mind when I added color coding BTW.

* How do I work my way through all the yellow novelties without having to
just click randomly though the book to find them?

That can't be done automatically. But it should be! I'll add it to my list
to have a button that navigates to the next novelty in the tree to make this
easier.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com/tutoral_videos.htm -- see how it works

Old April 22nd 04, 01:31 PM
Mike Leahy

Sorry! The URL is http://www.bookup.com/tutorial_videos.htm

I should know better than to trust my typing and memory.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"

Old Bookup Files?? Gollum rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) 2 June 7th 04 01:57 PM
bookup Mike Leahy rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 43 March 25th 04 07:37 AM
Bookup and Mike Leahy Michael Byrne rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 39 March 21st 04 06:39 AM
Skewing results by use of one set of GM games. Dr. David Kirkby rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 9 January 10th 04 12:19 PM
An idea to improve opening books Fortknight rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 1 November 25th 03 08:32 AM