Old April 20th 04, 10:57 PM
Gilles Garrigues

Default Help !! font problem in CB8

I use ChessBase 8 under Win98 without any problem. I just bought a new
computer running under WinXP and installed CB8 with all the fonts ...

But I am having the following problem : if now I want to insert a
diagram in the notation (text after move/ctrl + D) the familiar "knight
in a square" icon does not appear ; instead I have in the comment window
a "z" with a small "v" on top (ž ; looks like a letter from Central
Europe). This is most annoying since this weird diagram symbol is
invisible in the notation once the window is closed.

Can someone help me recover the reassuring "knight in a square" symbol ?

Thanks,

--
Gilles Garrigues

To E-mail me remove the "Z's" from my address

Old April 21st 04, 07:23 PM
HD

Are you sure that the fonts are correctly installed, and that one of the
Figurine fonts are selcted?

Old April 22nd 04, 03:46 AM
Enzo

Hello
I have the same problem on my deskstop and my Notebook with XP, but I am not
sure that is a Fonts problem, I think is a XP problem, I have tryed to
change "International parameters" ketboard configuration with no success
This "ctrl + D" was fine
Perhaps, we can send a mail to Chessbase Team hoping an answer
Regards
Vincent

"Gilles Garrigues" a écrit dans le message
de ...
I use ChessBase 8 under Win98 without any problem. I just bought a new
computer running under WinXP and installed CB8 with all the fonts ...

But I am having the following problem : if now I want to insert a
diagram in the notation (text after move/ctrl + D) the familiar "knight
in a square" icon does not appear ; instead I have in the comment window
a "z" with a small "v" on top (z ; looks like a letter from Central

Old April 22nd 04, 06:05 PM
Gilles Garrigues

I think you are right since that bloody modified "z" also shows up under
Word97 with "control+D".
I will write to ChessBase support, just in case (...) and will keep you
posted.

BTW my winXP computer has been recently updated with WindowsUpdate (all
critical updates + some recommended ones). I hope that is not the reason
for the mess !

In the meantime I will also fiddle with the keyboard configuration !?

Regards,

G. Garrigues

Old April 23rd 04, 07:30 PM
Anders Lang

There is a change in how fonts are installed between 9x and XP, therefore
the Chessbase installation program may have failed to correctly installed
the fonts. Try to make a manual intallation of the fonts from control
panel/fonts. This problem is covered in the readme file thats on the CB8
installation CD. Make it a habit to always read instructions in
readme-files.

Yours
Anders Lang

Old April 24th 04, 08:11 AM
Ulrich Dirr

Gilles Garrigues wrote:
I use ChessBase 8 under Win98 without any problem. I just bought a new
computer running under WinXP and installed CB8 with all the fonts ...

But I am having the following problem : if now I want to insert a
diagram in the notation (text after move/ctrl + D) the familiar
"knight in a square" icon does not appear ; instead I have in the
comment window a "z" with a small "v" on top (ž ; looks like a letter
from Central Europe). This is most annoying since this weird diagram
symbol is invisible in the notation once the window is closed.

Can someone help me recover the reassuring "knight in a square"
symbol ?

Thanks,

It's the same here on Win2k. But though it shows a zcaron and gets
somewhat invisible afterwards it will be print just fine. Both printing
and exporting does what one would expect.

I think the recommended way for inserting diagrams is by right clicking
the move and select "Diagram (print/email)". You will see a text comment
"Diagram ž" in your notation (btw ž is Alt-158), and don't loose visible
control.

Maybe Chessbase will improve this in cb9?!

Ulrich

Old April 24th 04, 08:31 AM
Gilles Garrigues

Thanks to all of you !
In the meantime I sent a message to ChessBase support ...

I shall keep the group informed if I get any answer (?!)

Old April 24th 04, 04:52 PM
Enzo

on my old computer running under Windows Millenium, I have not this problem:
Ctrl+D is running well
Regards

Old April 25th 04, 10:54 AM
Gilles Garrigues

Default Help !! font problem in CB8 with WinXP

Me too on my old Win98 (=very close to Win Me) but can someone tell us
if it works for him with WinXP ??