Old April 20th 04, 11:17 PM
John Cordes

Default Chess Database Group - Denial

A while ago I received an email invitation to join the
chessdatabase group at Yahoo:

You are invited to join this New Yahoo Group about Chess
Databases (commercial and freeware programs).
Enjoy it!

Thank you
Chessdatabase Group

From: chessdatabase moderator
Hello,
The moderator of the chessdatabase group has denied
your request for membership.

I am curious about the reason for this. Anybody else experienced it?

--
John Cordes
Old April 21st 04, 12:36 PM
Ari Makela

In article , John Cordes wrote:

Today I tried to subscribe and was turned rejected:

From: chessdatabase moderator
Hello,
The moderator of the chessdatabase group has denied
your request for membership.

I am curious about the reason for this. Anybody else experienced it?

The owner is a spammer. Maybe he's just confirming addresses?

--
Ari Makela no escaping it -
I must step on fallen leaves

Old April 21st 04, 02:35 PM
John Cordes

From: chessdatabase moderator
Hello,
The moderator of the chessdatabase group has denied
your request for membership.

I am curious about the reason for this. Anybody else experienced it?

The owner is a spammer. Maybe he's just confirming addresses?

I was beginning to wonder if it was a spam trap. How do you know
with such certainty?

I thought Yahoo was supposed to be pretty good at protecting
against such things... Guess I'd better think again.

--
John Cordes
Old April 21st 04, 07:31 PM
HD

The "Chess database" group is not spam! There's another one, called the
Chess Database Discussion".
When you got the denial from the Chess Database group after an
invitation, it's probably because it's experied - there's a 7 day limit
to accept.

HD

From: chessdatabase moderator
Hello,

Old April 21st 04, 09:15 PM
David Richerby

CeeBee wrote:
John Cordes wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:
I am curious about the reason for this. Anybody else experienced it?

I receive it as well, as will many others here. Possibly a spam trap.

I received enough of them that I told Yahoo to stop sending them to me,
which seems to have worked. Of course, that meant giving my E-mail
address to Yahoo but, hey, they already had it and it's attached to
everything I post here.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Fluorescent Surprise.com (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like an E-commerce portal but not like

Old April 22nd 04, 06:37 AM
Ari Makela

From: chessdatabase moderator
Hello,
The moderator of the chessdatabase group has denied
your request for membership.

I am curious about the reason for this. Anybody else experienced it?

The owner is a spammer. Maybe he's just confirming addresses?

I was beginning to wonder if it was a spam trap. How do you know
with such certainty?

Well, he spams, so he's is a spammer. That is certain and that makes him
criminal where I live.

Confirming the addresses is just a guess - that's why I used the word
"maybe".

Old April 22nd 04, 06:52 AM
Ari Makela

In article , HD wrote:
The "Chess database" group is not spam!

They send unsolicited email also known as spam. I have certainly not
given them my permission to email me. Most of the opt-out spam is
illegal in EU depending on the specific implementation of the EU directive.
Here in Finland it's a crime to spam a person although unfortunately
it's necesserily not a crime to spam a company. I need neither porn nor
chess spam in my inbox.

So, chess database group is committing crimes in many countries.

Old April 22nd 04, 09:01 AM
HD

Well, in that light, I agree - you can consider an unsolicited
invitation as spam if you like, and the law might agree in many
countries. Personally I was unable so see it as spam, when it arrived in
my mail, and I still don't.
If I got tons of it, I would most likely quickly change my mind - I
don't like to be spammed either.

HD

Old April 23rd 04, 07:50 AM
Ari Makela

In article , Chaos wrote:

In other words, if I were to answer this post via email, whether agreeing or
disagreeing, that would be spam?

Of course not as it would not be a mass mailing.

Old April 23rd 04, 04:35 PM
Antonio R.

John Cordes wrote in message ...
A while ago I received an email invitation to join the
chessdatabase group at Yahoo:

You are invited to join this New Yahoo Group about Chess
Databases (commercial and freeware programs).
Enjoy it!

Thank you
Chessdatabase Group

The Yahoo Groups give you 7 days to join. If passed the 7 days, you
have to check if the group has a restricted policy to join or not. The
web site of the chessdatabase group is restricted and says that
applicants have to sent an e-mail to the group owner, and his e-mail
given at the bottom of the page. I did this some time ago and I got a
valid invitation.

Hope it helps
Antonio