Old November 5th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Watch the Board Meeting Now

On Nov 4, 10:26 am, samsloan wrote:
Watch the USCF Executive Board meeting right now athttp://drpain.camstreams.com/

Sam Sloan

I think that everybody who watched the meeting on the webcam was
astounded by how much BSing and aimless bantering took place and how
rarely was there any serious discussion of any important subject. Many
wondered why we were using USCF dues money to fly seven board members
in from all over the country to sit around the table in such a time-
wasting and unproductive meeting.

By the way, I am not exactly a big fan of Paul Truong but he stayed on
topic and had more of relevance to say than most of the other board
members at the meeting.

Old November 5th 07, 09:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

samsloan wrote:

I think that everybody who watched the meeting on the webcam was
astounded by how much BSing and aimless bantering took place and how
rarely was there any serious discussion of any important subject. Many
wondered why we were using USCF dues money to fly seven board members
in from all over the country to sit around the table in such a time-
wasting and unproductive meeting.

My guess would be that somebody (read: B. Goichberg and/or S. Polgar
and P. Truong) wanted to mess with the process of the next election,
keep a certain irritant away. Since there obviously are zero
consequences
for squandering USCF members' dues like this, why not give it a shot?
It's
not like those responsible will even become known (look at this report
by
Mr. Sloan: he doesn't seem to have even a clue who is responsible).

In my very limited experience of these things, a couple of people
will
show up who have "plans" they want implemented, and it should surprise
no one that these plans often entail making money (or something
similar)
for its proposer(s). If you think the way the USCF is run stinks, you
might
be surprised to learn that some local chess organizations are even
worse.
There are people who will run for office just to steal as much money
from
members as they possibly can, while those for whom money is not a big
concern may use the position for power, fame, or personal vendettas.

As for flying people "from all over the country", do I detect a note
of
indignation that other parts of the USA are represented? Is this the
same
righteous indignation I detected in some writings by LP -- who seems
care about the cost of the new building mainly as a means of
retaliation
for the USCF HQ having dared to move beyond the northeastern states?
If so, try to get a grip; this is after all, not the New York Chess
Federation,
but the United States Chess Federation (and that includes Alaska and
Hawaii). Speaking of HI, I think all winter meetings should be
conducted
there, but the organization could save a lot of money be eschewing
plane
tickets in favor of a small, fuel-efficient boat out of L.A. About
enough
fuel to get half-way there -- and remove the oars before launching.

-- helpful bot