Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old November 5th 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Truong Can't Enter California

On Nov 4, 4:13 pm, "B. Lafferty" wrote:
Why? Does anyone know what his problem is? He made it clear at the USCF EB
meeting that he can't enter CA, but refused to say why.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mottershead
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan
During the meeting, Joel
Channing said that it was obvious what the reason was that Paul Truong
cannot go to California, but Channing did not tell us what the
"obvious" reason was.

Paul Truong and Susan Polgar were in Los Angeles for the 2003 US Open.
That where they notoriously demanded that the USCF pay $13,358.36 for
Susan to appear there. I wonder if there are charges pending from that
time.

Sam Sloan
The problem with the "charges" hypothesis is that you can't escape
charges by crossing a state line. If there are arrest warrants for
someone in California, that person can be arrested anywhere in the
country. It is one country; indeed, a lot of warrants would follow
you even if you left the country.
This is not entirely true. A state will often refuse to pay the
charges to extradite a person from another state. Let us say that you
commit a crime in Hawaii and are arrested in Florida. Florida will
contact the legal authorities in Hawaii to ask if Hawaii wants to pay
the costs of extradition.

Often if the offense is anything less than murder, Hawaii will just
opt to let the person stay in Florida. However, if the wanted person
shows up on his own in Hawaii, he will be arrested and prosecuted.

Sam Sloan

  #2   Report Post  
Old November 5th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Truong Can't Enter California

On Nov 5, 8:19 am, samsloan wrote:
On Nov 4, 4:13 pm, "B. Lafferty" wrote:

Why? Does anyone know what his problem is? He made it clear at the USCF EB
meeting that he can't enter CA, but refused to say why.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mottershead
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan
During the meeting, Joel
Channing said that it was obvious what the reason was that Paul Truong
cannot go to California, but Channing did not tell us what the
"obvious" reason was.

Paul Truong and Susan Polgar were in Los Angeles for the 2003 US Open.
That where they notoriously demanded that the USCF pay $13,358.36 for
Susan to appear there. I wonder if there are charges pending from that
time.

Sam Sloan

The problem with the "charges" hypothesis is that you can't escape
charges by crossing a state line. If there are arrest warrants for
someone in California, that person can be arrested anywhere in the
country. It is one country; indeed, a lot of warrants would follow
you even if you left the country.

This is not entirely true. A state will often refuse to pay the
charges to extradite a person from another state. Let us say that you
commit a crime in Hawaii and are arrested in Florida. Florida will
contact the legal authorities in Hawaii to ask if Hawaii wants to pay
the costs of extradition.

Often if the offense is anything less than murder, Hawaii will just
opt to let the person stay in Florida. However, if the wanted person
shows up on his own in Hawaii, he will be arrested and prosecuted.

Sam Sloan


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mottershead
Really? Surely the extradition costs are
small relative to the cost of the prosecution and, if the person is
convicted, the imprisonment, probation, etc. Wouldn't it have to be
a pretty minor offense for the charge to be, effectively, dropped
unless the person delivers himself back to the state?
You are mistaken. This happens all the time, probably most of the
time.

I will provide an opposite example I read about in the San Francisco
Chronicle.

There is a big prison in California called the Folsom State Prison. It
is near the border with Nevada.

Whenever a prisoner has served his time and is to be released, the
California prison authorities take him across the state line to Nevada
and release him there. They also give him enough money to buy a bus
ticket to California.

The reason is obvious. Many of these are habitual criminals who will
commit a crime within 5 or 10 minutes after being released or they
will spend the bus money and never make it back to California. So,
they wind up in prison in Nevada and California's problem is solved.

Last I heard, the Governor of Nevada was complaining to the Governor
of California about this problem.

Sam Sloan

  #3   Report Post  
Old November 5th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Truong Can't Enter California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mottershead
That makes a good story, Sam, but I'm not
sure I buy it. Folsom is near Sacramento. It is about 120 miles to
the nearest city in Nevada, which is Reno.
I may be mistaken about the name of the prison, but I am sure that is
was a very large prison, northeast of Sacramento and about halfway
between Sacramento and Reno.

That was the issue. Since the distance was about the same, the
Governor of Nevada wanted the released prisoners dropped in
Sacramento, whereas the Governor of California wanted the prisoners
dropped in Reno.

One reason I remember this story is once I was on a Greyhound Bus
passing through Reno and on the way to Utah. Just before the bus was
about to depart, a police car pulled up with a guy in handcuffs. The
police took the handcuffs off the guy, gave him a bus ticket to
Wisconsin I believe it was and put him on the bus, basically saying
don't come back here any more.

Sam Sloan

  #4   Report Post  
Old November 5th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Truong Can't Enter California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mottershead
That makes a good story, Sam, but I'm not
sure I buy it. Folsom is near Sacramento. It is about 120 miles to
the nearest city in Nevada, which is Reno.
I may be mistaken about the name of the prison, but I am sure that is
was a very large prison, northeast of Sacramento and about halfway
between Sacramento and Reno.

That was the issue. Since the distance was about the same, the
Governor of Nevada wanted the released prisoners dropped in
Sacramento, whereas the Governor of California wanted the prisoners
dropped in Reno.

One reason I remember this story is once I was on a Greyhound Bus
passing through Reno and on the way to Utah. Just before the bus was
about to depart, a police car pulled up with a guy in handcuffs. The
police took the handcuffs off the guy, gave him a bus ticket to
Wisconsin I believe it was and put him on the bus, basically saying
don't come back here any more.

Sam Sloan

  #5   Report Post  
Old November 5th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Truong Can't Enter California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mottershead
That makes a good story, Sam, but I'm not
sure I buy it. Folsom is near Sacramento. It is about 120 miles to
the nearest city in Nevada, which is Reno.
Dave Spigel, a USCF Member who works for a federal agency that often
deals with this issue, has responded as follows:

Sam: On this specific point you are completely correct. States often
place a geographic limitation on even felony warrants. For example
"extradition from surrounding states," "will extradite from a 350 mile
radius." California frequently puts extradition limits in the National
Crime Information Center (NCIC). Of course this is just speculation-
perhaps Truong and Polgar are simply afraid of earthquakes.

David Spigel



  #6   Report Post  
Old November 5th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Nov 2007
Posts: 4
Default Truong Can't Enter California

On Nov 5, 1:04 pm, samsloan wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mottershead
That makes a good story, Sam, but I'm not
sure I buy it. Folsom is near Sacramento. It is about 120 miles to
the nearest city in Nevada, which is Reno.

Dave Spigel, a USCF Member who works for a federal agency that often
deals with this issue, has responded as follows:

Sam: On this specific point you are completely correct. States often
place a geographic limitation on even felony warrants. For example
"extradition from surrounding states," "will extradite from a 350 mile
radius." California frequently puts extradition limits in the National
Crime Information Center (NCIC). Of course this is just speculation-
perhaps Truong and Polgar are simply afraid of earthquakes.

David Spigel



A restraining order perhaps. Just as diaper-wearing astronaut Lisa
Nowak is not allowed to enter Brevard Co. Florida. Can a person be
restrained from entering an entire state?

  #7   Report Post  
Old November 6th 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,576
Default Truong Can't Enter California

On Nov 5, 5:14 pm, wrote:

A restraining order perhaps. Just as diaper-wearing astronaut Lisa
Nowak is not allowed to enter Brevard Co. Florida. Can a person be
restrained from entering an entire state?


No United States citizen can be restrained from a state, at common
law.
A state judge tried to "banish" US Citizens from Texas once, but he
was overruled.
The US Constitution guarantees each US Citizen Entry into all states
and US possessions.

It sounds like a misdemeanor warrant, or a contempt charge.

Anyone who simply wanted to sue Paul would lose his rights to sue if
the suit
Was filed within the time limit, a few years.

It's probably a criminal charge of misdemanor harassment realting to
the use of the internet.
Paul's done this before, and if somebody got him charged, he simply
fled the state.

Marcus Roberts


  #9   Report Post  
Old November 7th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Oct 2007
Posts: 54
Default Truong Can't Enter California

On Nov 5, 10:08 pm, wrote:
On Nov 5, 5:14 pm, wrote:



A restraining order perhaps. Just as diaper-wearing astronaut Lisa
Nowak is not allowed to enter Brevard Co. Florida. Can a person be
restrained from entering an entire state?


No United States citizen can be restrained from a state, at common
law.
A state judge tried to "banish" US Citizens from Texas once, but he
was overruled.
The US Constitution guarantees each US Citizen Entry into all states
and US possessions.

It sounds like a misdemeanor warrant, or a contempt charge.

Anyone who simply wanted to sue Paul would lose his rights to sue if
the suit
Was filed within the time limit, a few years.

It's probably a criminal charge of misdemanor harassment realting to
the use of the internet.
Paul's done this before, and if somebody got him charged, he simply
fled the state.

Marcus Roberts


It sounds like a misdemeanor warrant, or a contempt charge.


Did Truong get into an altercation with a reporter in CA when he was
there in 2003?

As most kids find out via the TV, nationwide there is a huge number of
unserved misdemeanor bench warrants.
California is no exception. As of 1998, CA had 2,342,401 misdemeanor
and 252,933 felony unserved warrants:

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Divisions_Boa..._Warrants.html
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...22/MN09FRO.DTL
http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Divisions_Boa...ep_factors.pdf
http://www.ca.gov/

Search California public records:

http://proagency.tripod.com/ca-pr.html

Search California court records:

http://www.courtrecords.org/index.php

California County links:

http://proagency.tripod.com/cacounties.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._in_California
http://www.sdsheriff.net/waar/waar.aspx



  #10   Report Post  
Old November 8th 07, 08:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,576
Default Truong Can't Enter California

On Nov 6, 9:28 pm, EZoto wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 22:08:56 -0800, wrote:
On Nov 5, 5:14 pm, wrote:


A restraining order perhaps. Just as diaper-wearing astronaut Lisa
Nowak is not allowed to enter Brevard Co. Florida. Can a person be
restrained from entering an entire state?


No United States citizen can be restrained from a state, at common
law.


What country do you live in? This happens more often than you can
even imagine. You live in a friggin fantasy world brady bunch land.
Come back to reality then say something that makes sense. That's why
no one takes people like you seriously because you live in your own
world, your own USA. I don't live in your imaginery USA.

EZoto


EZoto

Clearly, you need help. Who exactly keeping you out of what state?

Marcus Roberts

Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017