Old April 23rd 04, 11:42 AM
Johan Lindqvist

Default Good interface for ICC

Hi.
A while ago I started playing chess at FICS, but since ther wassn't
very much happening there (tournaments, simuls etc) and there wheren't
a lot of players out on my playing hours, I registered at ICC. Ther
problem is that I haven't found a good interface for ICC. For FICS
there was Babas Chess (http://www.babaschess.net), wich I think had
everything a interface should have. Unfortunately, the author of the
program does not have any plans for making Babaschess compatible with
ICC.
OK, so this is what I wan't out of a ICC interface: userdefineble
sought graph, nice look of the board (preferably true type chess fonts
for pieces), intuitive GUI, userdefineble auto save to pgn.
These are the interfaces I've tried so far:
iNemesis (bad looking, especially boards and pieces, non intuitive
GUI)
varese (low on functionality)
Arena (nice board, but no sought graph)
Blitzin (ugly pieces and boards, no userdefineble sought graph, no
userdefineble auto save)
Icarus (ugly pieces and boards, no userdefineble auto save)

So, does anyone know any other interfaces worth trying?
Old April 23rd 04, 09:12 PM
John

Would you like to pay for it?

Old April 24th 04, 08:11 AM
Johan Lindqvist

Sure, I would pay for a good enough interface.

(John) wrote in message ...
Would you like to pay for it?

On 23 Apr 2004 03:42:45 -0700,
(Johan Lindqvist)

Old April 24th 04, 08:49 AM
anhedonist

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:42:45 -0700, Johan Lindqvist wrote:

Hi.

SNIP

So, does anyone know any other interfaces worth trying?

Have you tried Jin? It is a Java interface, which you can access from:

http://www.chessclub.com/interface/java.html

For Linux, eBoard is pretty good.

anhedonist
Old April 24th 04, 09:01 AM
Johan Lindqvist

Sure, I would pay for a good enough interface.

(John) wrote in message ...
Would you like to pay for it?

On 23 Apr 2004 03:42:45 -0700,
(Johan Lindqvist)

Old April 24th 04, 05:13 PM
Robert Pawlak

Sure, I would pay for a good enough interface.

Then take a look at Chess Assistant. If you want to try CALite (demo version),
you will need the version based on CA 6.1. While CA 7.1 has an ICC interface,
it is disabled in the Lite version.

The program logs games to a CA format file, but you can export to PGN.

Bob Pawlak (remove 1et.tw to e-mail)
Chess Assistance
http://www.chessassistance.com
Chess Reviews
http://www.chessreviews.com

Old April 24th 04, 05:31 PM
Johan Lindqvist

anhedonist wrote in message
Have you tried Jin?

I've just tried it, and it's quite nice actually. Not that rich in
features though... I would really liked to have seen a customizable
sought graph, a games list and separate chat windows... there seems to
be no interface that has it all. I've also just tried chess assistant
lite 6.1. And it seems like the best one so far. No good games list
and no good autosave function.. Would like to try chess assistant 7.1,
but it's not worth 100 euros for the ICC function..
Old April 25th 04, 08:33 AM
Edward D. Collins

If you can do without the sought graph, try WinBoard.

Old April 25th 04, 04:08 PM
Robert Pawlak

No good games list
and no good autosave function.. Would like to try chess assistant 7.1,
but it's not worth 100 euros for the ICC function..

CA displays both a list of games currently being played, and you can also
access a list of games you've already played (all are automatically logged to a
database called ICC, it can be found in the bases subdirectory underneath the
CA installation directory). You may have to enable the autosave function in the
options dialog.

I agree that 100 Euro is quite a bit of money for an ICC interface. However, CA
is also a very full featured chess database as well.

Good luck in your search.