Old April 27th 04, 09:03 AM
Sidney

Default Gambit settings for Chess Tiger are a joke

Ok, I'm not insulting chess tiger itself, since I happen to think it's a great
engine and one of the best out there, but as far as its "gambit" settings, they
are a joke.

Do NOT buy chess tiger thinking you're going to get some gambiting, brilliant
combination seeking program, it does not do this. The "gambit suicidal" and
"gambit aggressive" settings are silly. They might as well call it: "I'll
sacrifice a pawn every now and then, and shift my pieces around more" styles.

If you're buying it for the Normal Style, ok then. You'll get a great deal, but
don't get it thinking that you're going to get a program that plays like Mikhail
Tal, Frank Marshall or Paul Morphy.

Old April 27th 04, 06:38 PM
henri Arsenault

In article ,
"Sidney" wrote:

If you're buying it for the Normal Style, ok then. You'll get a great deal,
but don't get it thinking that you're going to get a program that plays like
Mikhail Tal, Frank Marshall or Paul Morphy.

For that kind of play, which one should I get?... ;-)

Henri
Old April 27th 04, 06:45 PM
Benjamin Jordan

"Sidney" wrote in message
[...]

You might try the free engine Gothmog. It has four modes from "normal" to
"suicidal" and I've seen some interesting play from it.

Old April 28th 04, 10:06 PM
George

henri Arsenault wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Sidney" wrote:

If you're buying it for the Normal Style, ok then. You'll get a great deal,
but don't get it thinking that you're going to get a program that plays like
Mikhail Tal, Frank Marshall or Paul Morphy.

For that kind of play, which one should I get?... ;-)

Buy Chessmaster 9000, it has millions of personalities with attacking
styles.
Or buy Junior 7. This engine is brilliant! It will always play with
materilal down. Or even buy Nimzo 8 although it's a bit old.
Another choise to buy is Chess System Tal-II if you can find it. It's
amazing. It really has the style of the great M.Tal. And there is
also the free one Gothmog 0.4.7. It plays very interesting Chess.

Henri