Old April 27th 04, 12:16 PM
Rich Hebda

Default Fritz 7 tactics

I'm a beginner at chess ( have been playing for about a year) and would like
start studying tactics. I have Fritz 7 and would like to know if there is
any way
to practice tactics or do I need to buy other software such as CT ART 3.0.
I have read Winning Chess Tactics but would like to practice on my computer.

Thanks
Rich

Old April 27th 04, 10:46 PM
Mike Ogush

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:16:39 -0400, "Rich Hebda"
wrote:

I'm a beginner at chess ( have been playing for about a year) and would like
start studying tactics. I have Fritz 7 and would like to know if there is
any way
to practice tactics or do I need to buy other software such as CT ART 3.0.
I have read Winning Chess Tactics but would like to practice on my computer.

Thanks
Rich

If what you are after is presentation of positions with just an
indication of whose move it is and what result to strive for then you
are looking for software other than Fritz. The Chessbase chess
database program will do what you want, even to the point of being
able to create timed exercises; however, Chessbase is fairly
expensive. Fortunately Chessbase Light will do much of what you want.
You can download Chessbase light from www.chessbase.com; they do ask
for your name and e-mail address in order to get a copy.

Once you have Chessbase light (or Chessbase) you will need to get a
file containg tactical positions. You can find files that total
several thousand positions at
http://www.uni-klu.ac.at/~gossimit/c/tactic.htm.

To train with a set of positions open the database containing the
positions. Then select Status-Options from the menu bar at the top.
In the dialog box click on the Notaion-Training. Afterwards when
ever you got to a position in the database the notaion window will
just display which side has the move and the result associated with
the game. Some of the postion databases just have the position with
no moves or results. If you get stumped for the answer you can strart
the analysis engine, which is Fritz 4; after a few seconds it should
display the best line.