Old April 27th 04, 02:18 PM
Dr. David Kirkby

Default Suggestion for Blitzin or similar - hide opponents rating.

When playing on ICC with Blitzin as the interface, and an opponent
responds to a seek, I find I tend to look at their ratings and play
differently according to what I perceive as their abiltiy. I tend to
play a lot better against stronger players, and often play quite pooly
against weaker players, which can on occasions result in a bit of a
disaster.

Would it not be useful if the opponents rating was not known to you
after a game was started? Clearly you might wish to choose opponents
between specifica ratings with a seek

e.g.

seek 45 0 1500-2000

but once an opponent between 1500 and 2000 is found, you would not
know what their rating was. Obvioulsly you could get this information
with the finger command, but not having it quite so obviously visable,
might be an advantage.

Likewise if the seek graph shows the time the seek had been advertised
(or similar), rather than the rating, would be useful.

At least Bltizin (or similar) software should give you the option of
hiding your opponents rating. Any thoughts ??

David Kirkby
Old April 27th 04, 02:54 PM
Mike Leahy

"Dr. David Kirkby" m wrote
in message om...
When playing on ICC with Blitzin as the interface, and an opponent
responds to a seek, I find I tend to look at their ratings and play
differently according to what I perceive as their abiltiy. I tend to
play a lot better against stronger players, and often play quite pooly
against weaker players, which can on occasions result in a bit of a
disaster.

At least Bltizin (or similar) software should give you the option of
hiding your opponents rating. Any thoughts ??

I play on ICC often enough that I play the same players again and again.
Would you have the interface hide their names/handles as well as their
current ratings?

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com

Old May 2nd 04, 11:22 PM
Dr. David Kirkby

"Mike Leahy" wrote in message ...
"Dr. David Kirkby" m wrote
in message om...
When playing on ICC with Blitzin as the interface, and an opponent
responds to a seek, I find I tend to look at their ratings and play
differently according to what I perceive as their abiltiy. I tend to
play a lot better against stronger players, and often play quite pooly
against weaker players, which can on occasions result in a bit of a
disaster.

At least Bltizin (or similar) software should give you the option of
hiding your opponents rating. Any thoughts ??

I play on ICC often enough that I play the same players again and again.
Would you have the interface hide their names/handles as well as their
current ratings?

Mike Leahy

Perhaps yes - replace their handle by a number.

But note I'm only suggestiing this as "user configurable option" to
the interface - not hard coded so that user can't control. If the user
wants to see the username, rating etc, by all means let them. But if
they would rather play an unknown player, or unknown rating, give them
the abiltiy to play like that.

I have began to realise when I play on ICC my quality of play does
depend on my percieved abiltiy of my opponent (by his rating). I
discussed this with someone who I beat a couple of times. He is rated
a bit higher than me, and he admits he perhaps did not concentrate as
much on the first game as he should have done, for the reasons stated
- my rating would suggest he should beat me easily. So on the second
game he gave me a bit more respect. Luckily I still beat him.

I think there is a physological issue here. If you think the player is
weak, you are inclided not to play as well. If you don't know who you
are playing, you might play better.

Once again, I'm not suggesting software should hide handle/rating
information by default, but at least give anyone (like myself) who
would rather not know the opponents ability, the chance to ignore it.

How many people would have to admit that they do look at their
opponents rating, and it has an effect on their play? Is that a good
thing or not? I'm not convinced it is a good thing, as so the option
to hide this information would be useful.
Old May 3rd 04, 03:21 AM
Mike Leahy

"Dr. David Kirkby" m wrote
in message om...
"Mike Leahy" wrote in message

"Dr. David Kirkby" m

wrote
in message om...

[snip]
I think there is a physological issue here. If you think the player is
weak, you are inclided not to play as well. If you don't know who you
are playing, you might play better.

There certainly is a psychological issue here.

Once again, I'm not suggesting software should hide handle/rating
information by default, but at least give anyone (like myself) who
would rather not know the opponents ability, the chance to ignore it.

How many people would have to admit that they do look at their
opponents rating, and it has an effect on their play? Is that a good
thing or not? I'm not convinced it is a good thing, as so the option
to hide this information would be useful.

Guilty as charged. I always "play up" when paired up and I often sluff off
when paired down.

Now the software option you describe would certainly help, but tell me how
one handles this sort of thing over the board!

To wit: Twenty years ago I was playing a rated game in a weekly YMCA
tournament. The director was a bit of a drinker and paired me with a player
rated 1284. I quickly found myself down a rook! I fought back fiercely and
created the tactics necessary to save the game in the endgame. It was then
I found out he was really rated 1600 (about my strength at the time) and the
tipsy director had put his USCF expiration date (12/86) where his rating was
supposed to go. I'd have resigned instantly upon losing the rook if I'd
known his true rating.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com