Old April 28th 04, 11:42 AM
Gunny Bunny

Default Chess Server Master List - Input Request

Okay, go ahead and start naming the Chess Servers Online. I am going to
create a master list of them all

Old April 29th 04, 05:15 AM
Stan Shankman

WCN - World Chess Network http://www.worldchessnetwork.com/

Old April 29th 04, 06:29 AM
Brian Sheeres

"Gunny Bunny" wrote in message
Okay, go ahead and start naming the Chess Servers Online. I am going to
create a master list of them all

besides the obvious ones, there's also chesslink.net ( info at
www.chesslink.net )

as the author i'm a bit partial to it and those who have used it (there are
a couple of thousand registered users) have responded very positively.
however since i don't advertise it (and my sites google index for "free
chess online" is somewhere around 1,999,999 out of 2,000,000) the active
player base is quite small. but i think given some exposure it would be a
great little server.

brian

Old April 29th 04, 10:06 AM
Tryfon Gavriel

www.letsplaychess.com

This is a web correspondence chess server, which means that you can chat
between moves, and play lots of games at the same time. Also it does not
matter if the opponents are on the other side of the world, as they will be
notified by the server when you move by an Email notification. Maybe I am
biased towards it because I am the webmaster .

Old April 29th 04, 02:58 PM
Liam Too

Tryfon,

Are the results and/or the moves being published live without delay
and without consultation from the opponent?

Lance Smith

Old April 29th 04, 03:15 PM
Tryfon Gavriel

Hi there

As you are probably aware, this has been the subject of fierce debate on
http://www.correspondencechess.com/bbs/ !

My position is that on a casual correspondence chess server such as mine,
where official ratings are not at stake, there is less of a need for game
security in terms of publishing live. So currently, yes, they are shown live
without any delay and without requesting anyones permission. I think this is
also the position of the chessfriend server where high money prizes are at
stake, but this needs to be checked. I may review this policy for high
profile tournaments which are hosted in the future

Certainly players want their innovations to be protected, and because of the
simultaneous nature of correspondence chess, such protection is arguably
more important in correspondence than over-the-board events or online real
time events (equivalent to over-the-board). Innovations could be used in
theory in other games which are being played in parallel. Additionally other
players may be influenced by viewing a certain players live games. It is a
case of the observer potentially altering what is being observed

The opposing arguments often related to publicity and marketing of
correspondence chess, and I suppose in particular grabbing the attention and
interest of the over-the-board chess players. For example, players with ICCF
ratings even over 2400 are going to play games of much higher quality than
over-the-board grandmasters (2500 onwards) because of the enormous amount of
analysis and research they can do on every single move. Most would never
blunder the way Kasparov has done recently for example. Therefore the
publication of on-going correspondence chess games, is the publication in
effect of an unseen before level of quality chess. An insight into this
quality of correspondence games can be gained from reading Tim Hardings "64
Great Chess Games". So to see these quality games in action as they are
played, may be interesting and instructive to many players. However, as I
have also highlighted on the Tccmb, well annotated completed games are
particularly instructive, and Tim Hardings book is an obvious example of
such.

Best wishes
Tryfon Gavriel
Webmaster
www.letsplaychess.com

Old April 29th 04, 08:11 PM
Liam Too

Tryfon,

I totally agree with your position, CC games should be published live
without the move delay crap and everything else. What's the use of
publishing live games if there are delays?

Yep, I've been a participant in TCCMB, but only on issues about Bobby
Fischer. I have been quiet on the live publishing of games there. I'll
let Ritsema, Coleman, Knudsen, Taylor, etc. fight it out.

However, my position is that Correspondence Chess needs publicity. If
lots of servers and websites are publishing live games the way
Kasparov did when he played against the world, then perhaps CC will be
known a little and be in the Chess map's big picture.

At least two world CC champions like Hamarat and Palciauskas are on
our side.

Amici Sumus,

Old May 1st 04, 04:38 AM
Jim Grieve

gameknot.com

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 6:42:33 -0400, Gunny Bunny wrote
(in message ) :

Okay, go ahead and start naming the Chess Servers Online. I am going to
create a master list of them all

Posted with Hogwasher. Mac first, Mac only:
http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product....hogwasher.html

Old May 4th 04, 01:50 PM
Norman Mielke

"Gunny Bunny" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Okay, go ahead and start naming the Chess Servers Online. I am going to
create a master list of them all

www .schachseiten.de

Old May 8th 04, 12:04 AM
Sixty4

"Gunny Bunny" wrote in message m...
Okay, go ahead and start naming the Chess Servers Online. I am going to
create a master list of them all

http://www.playchess.de

playchess.de is a correspondence chess server.

Thomas - www.playchess.de

PS: playchess.de is *not* connected with Chessbase or playchess.com