Old April 29th 04, 06:33 AM
Mark van der Leek

Default Chess Analysis Project data

Where can I find the data from the Chess Analysis Project run by Dann
Corbitt?

I tried to get to his ftp, but I cannot get on the server...

Anyone ideas?

Mark

Old April 29th 04, 07:26 AM
Euclid

I just got on OK:
cap.connx.com, automatic detect, anonymous, [email protected]
however I've frequently been unable to connect in the past.
-E

Old April 29th 04, 08:00 AM
Mark van der Leek

Thank you very much!

I now succeeded as well. I only must use the Windows command prompt
ftp command, with IE it doesn't work. (even though I have passive ftp
turned on.)

Mark

Old May 1st 04, 09:51 PM
Jim Grieve

What are the .bz2 files used for that are on this ftp site?

Jim

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 3:00:34 -0400, Mark van der Leek wrote
(in message ):

Thank you very much!

I now succeeded as well. I only must use the Windows command prompt
ftp command, with IE it doesn't work. (even though I have passive ftp
turned on.)

Mark

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:26:08 GMT, "Euclid" wrote:

I just got on OK:
cap.connx.com, automatic detect, anonymous, [email protected]
however I've frequently been unable to connect in the past.
-E

"Mark van der Leek" wrote in message
Where can I find the data from the Chess Analysis Project run by Dann
Corbitt?

I tried to get to his ftp, but I cannot get on the server...

Anyone ideas?

Mark

Hogwasher: You don't have to sacrifice friendliness for power
http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product....hogwasher.html

Old May 2nd 04, 04:04 AM
Euclid

They're just an oddball form of compression used by unix nuts. There are
utilities available to decompress them. They're not easy to find for the
windows op system, but you should be able to find something with a google
search.
-E

link.net...

Old May 2nd 04, 11:35 AM
David Richerby

Jim Grieve wrote:
What are the .bz2 files used for that are on this ftp site?

BZip, a compression program that usually gives better results than
gzip/winzip. You can download it for various operating systems from

http://www.digistar.com/bzip2/

Dave.

--
David Richerby Surprise Metal Tool (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ screwdriver that's made of steel but
Old May 2nd 04, 11:44 PM
Dr. David Kirkby

What are the .bz2 files used for that are on this ftp site?

They're just an oddball form of compression used by unix nuts. There are
utilities available to decompress them. They're not easy to find for the
windows op system, but you should be able to find something with a google
search.
-E

bzip2 (which creates .bz2) may be oddball to you, but for "general"
use, it's the best **lossless** compression algorithm I'm aware of.
bzip2 certainly compresses better than the ZIP algorithm. Despite
being a UNIX nut, I don't tend to use bzip2 a lot, as its not so
common and its quite CPU intensive. But to compress files well, it
does a very good job.

I think late versions of winzip can handle .bz2 files, but I'm not
100% sure.

I've not compared bzip2 to winrar, but note bzip2 is open source and
free, and does not come with numerous popups that I find so
irritating.