Old April 29th 04, 08:41 PM
ton theon

Default chess computer recommendations?

Greetings.

i currently have Saitek's Kasparov Team-Mate chess computer, and it's
already quite old, so i was wondering if newer ones would have
significant improvements in the ways they play, or is there no
advantage in getting a newer model? Save for the improved features
like digital displays etc which i don't really need (but wouldn't
mind, either...would be nice if the computer remembered notation so i
could record it after the game).

So, in the price range of $100 (poor student), what would be good
choises? Wouldn't mind a new Saitek. Also a huge opening library
would be good. Oh, ELO rating should be over 2000+ at least...i don't
have a rating but i can beat players around 1800 on a good day (bad
days...don't mention it) Haven't played with people who'd have
more than that.

Thanks.

angelos ton tHeon

PS: Any places in the internet to play chess?
Old April 29th 04, 09:09 PM
Simon Waters

ton theon wrote:

So, in the price range of $100 (poor student), what would be good
choises?

Software for one of you other electronic gizmos?

Sorry I'm not a fan of the hardware chess computers - few of them come
with the features I want and too infexible.

PS: Any places in the internet to play chess?

Lots - I use www.freechess.org

Old April 29th 04, 09:45 PM
Amos Soma

Since you're a student, I assume you have a laptop or PC? If so, you can
pick up a copy of Fritz or Shredder for about $50, or Chessmaster 9000 for
under $30. I bought a copy of Chessmaster 9000 off a reseller on Amazon for
$19. Any of these programs would be more than eager to beat you mercilessly
anytime of the day or night .

There are many places to play chess on the Internet. Personally, I would
stay away from Yahoo and MSN. ICC is very good (www.chessclub.com), so is
World Chess Network (www.wcn.com), but you pay a fee (worth it IMO). There
are some free chess servers but I don't know the URL of any off hand. If
you purchase a copy of Fritz, Shredder or Chessmaster, the price includes a
year of free chess on their servers.

om...

Old April 29th 04, 10:15 PM
Luther Barnum

I agree, if you really want to spend $100, it would be better spent on Chess
Assistant. You get Chess Tiger and a great database to analyze and store
your games.

I think the days of standalone chess computers are a waist of money. That's
just my opinion but others may disagree.