Old April 29th 04, 09:09 PM
hadoque

Default pgn editing

I've been looking around, but haven't found, a program that can manage
pgn files in that manner that it can add and remove games from the
database. Anyone know a good proggie? Preferebly freeware.

Hadoque
Old April 29th 04, 10:17 PM
Luther Barnum

You might want to try Scid. It does way more than pgn and it's free.
http://scid.sourceforge.net/

.com...

Old April 30th 04, 10:00 PM
Mike Ogush

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:17:37 GMT, "Luther Barnum"
wrote:

You might want to try Scid. It does way more than pgn and it's free.
http://scid.sourceforge.net/

"hadoque" wrote in message
t.com...
I've been looking around, but haven't found, a program that can manage
pgn files in that manner that it can add and remove games from the
database. Anyone know a good proggie? Preferebly freeware.

Hadoque

First a comment: a PGN "database" is actually just a text file so you
can add or delete games, by cutting and pasting within a text editor.

If you are looking for the ability to do chess database type of
operations (search, filter, etc.) you may want to check outthe PGN
utilties for at http://pgn.freeservers.com/. In particluar you may
want to look at the PGN Edit, Chesspad, Slinger, PGN extract.

There are also some utilities on this page that store games in a
compresed form of PGN. This shrinks the size of the database and
improves the performance of some chess database operations; you can
export games back to PGN at any time.

There are several other databases that are available for free that
allow you to import PGN into and export PGN out their specific file
format: scid (mentioned above), Chessbase Lite, and Chess Assistant
Lite. The latter two programs are free versions of commercial
programs with some limitations on either the number of games or access
to features available in the full comercial versions.

Old May 3rd 04, 12:45 PM
Dr. David Kirkby

hadoque wrote in message t.com...
I dont know how to delete games from a pgan dtbase in scid. Anyone
know how?

File - Maintainance - Delete Twin Games.

Then select on what basis you want to delete the games.

Be aware that 'always keep games with comments' will keep every game
played on ICC, as the result is a comment. So make sure that is
unchecked.

That should get you the games deleted. Once you are 100% sure you have
deleted the right games, compact the database (also under File -
Maintainance)

Old May 3rd 04, 02:58 PM
Charles Allen

hadoque:
I dont know how to delete games from a pgan dtbase in scid.

^^^^
Dr. David Kirkby:
File - Maintainance - Delete Twin Games.

Assuming hadoque meant "pgn", then it can't be done from within SCID,
as pgn files are opened readonly. He'll either have to convert to
SCID format, or just use a text editor.

--
Charles Allen
Old May 5th 04, 12:44 AM
Simon Waters

Charles Allen wrote:

Assuming hadoque meant "pgn", then it can't be done from within SCID,
as pgn files are opened readonly. He'll either have to convert to
SCID format, or just use a text editor.

Yes but you just export the SCID database to PGN when done removing
duplicates. I used SCID for tidying up the GNU Chess book this way.

SCID will also tidy up the players names, but use this with caution.

Old May 5th 04, 03:32 AM
Zero727