Old April 30th 04, 10:33 AM
Gunny Bunny

Default ICC is killing USCF

Well, there are lots of chess clubs online now. PlayChess.com has between
1000 and 2000 players online constantly, with a good sampling of GM and IMs
including Nigel Short and Michael Adams. Not to mention clubs like
Yahoo.com, which have thousands of members !

It seems online chess is the way to go now, it is easy to find opponents and
more comfortable!

In 1990, I played in a human tournament at my local chess club and had an
alright experience, but the waiting between games and the very strange
people at the club was a turn-off.

I still pay my annual dues to the CFC, to receive discounts on chess stuff.
The CFC is one of the worst run organizations I have ever run into, complete
LOSERS down there !!

Take care,

GB

Old April 30th 04, 02:16 PM
EZoto

The problem is USCF is not adjusting to the times. Whatever you think
tournament chess with the board and clocks will always be here.

EZoto
Old May 1st 04, 07:12 AM
Curt Seefeldt

Just my humble opinion...but I would play a OTB game anyday as opposed to
one that is an online one..for one thing..there is no comparison between the
two..online is to put it plainly..too sterile. Also it seems to me a lot of
those who enjoy online games don't have the patience to "wait" between games
and some perhaps are just too shy or introverted.

.. .

Old May 1st 04, 09:13 AM
Lee Meadowcroft

Maybe those of us who play online just don't have time for OTB play. I have
family and work commitments whilst studying a part time degree. I like to
fit in online matches whenever I get the chance. The same thoughts go into
an online game, the same moves, the same tactics, just in a different
environment. Also, you are playing against other people familiar with online
play, so there is no advantage on either side. Some people prefer online,
some on the board. I suppose it's like tennis where you can play on grass or
clay.

Lee
---
ink.net...

Old May 1st 04, 02:17 PM
MC

Online is an approximation, but is not the real thing... part of chess is
the psychological struggle that goes on across the board (ask Tal)... you're
there for your opponent to see and so is your opponent. I have seen so many
instances were there's no correlation between online play and OTB
strength... Not all online players are like that of course, but there's so
many that are suspect that it affects the integrity of online play. You
see, I got Fritz, Hiarcs, Shredder, Crafty, CM9K and I can play them anytime
I want if that's what I want.

For me there's nothing like OTB. You don't/can't hide your true self behind
an electronic veil... you're there. There are no questions about your
playing strength, you socialize, you learn to be a sportsman, etc, etc.

Online play has its place, but I wouldn't spend a dime on it (not anymore)
nor bother with it anymore unless there's assurance that cheating is not
taking place and the current controls to prevent this behaviour are
inadequate. Word of honor doesn't cut it anymore (even less online)...
those days are long gone by.

---

news:[email protected] .news.pas.earthlink.net...

Old May 3rd 04, 01:49 AM
Michael Dean

I would imagine it is partly a matter of commitment to the game as well. I
am a fairly casual chess player, and not likely to go to tournaments or
local chess clubs. Online play is a good way to quickly find opponents when
it isn't feasible to get together with the few people I play OTB with. If
OTB were the only way I could play, I would play very rarely, and still
would be unlikely to seek out tournaments or clubs.

That said though, I do enjoy OTB more than online. Technology can't
substitute for human interaction.

--
Michael Dean

snip

Old May 10th 04, 07:31 PM
Ray Gordon

The problem is USCF is not adjusting to the times. Whatever you think
tournament chess with the board and clocks will always be here.

I'm sure ICC will offer that not too far into the future.

Old May 10th 04, 07:32 PM
Ray Gordon

Just my humble opinion...but I would play a OTB game anyday as opposed to
one that is an online one..for one thing..there is no comparison between

the
two..online is to put it plainly..too sterile. Also it seems to me a lot

of
those who enjoy online games don't have the patience to "wait" between

games
and some perhaps are just too shy or introverted.

Or they want to improve their game and would rather play against global
competition with all their training games archived than have to spend time
and money traveling.

Old May 10th 04, 07:35 PM
Ray Gordon

Online is an approximation, but is not the real thing... part of chess is
the psychological struggle that goes on across the board (ask Tal)...

you're
there for your opponent to see and so is your opponent.

That tension exists as much online as offline, without the benefit of body
language. Timing of moves, however, can say a lot (like if someone suddenly
slows down to pump the position into Fritz).

I have seen so many
instances were there's no correlation between online play and OTB
strength... Not all online players are like that of course, but there's so
many that are suspect that it affects the integrity of online play.

I don't buy this.

You
see, I got Fritz, Hiarcs, Shredder, Crafty, CM9K and I can play them

anytime
I want if that's what I want.

Computers don't play like humans in the opening, or the rest of the game,
but that's another reason not to play OTB.

For me there's nothing like OTB. You don't/can't hide your true self

behind
an electronic veil... you're there. There are no questions about your
playing strength, you socialize, you learn to be a sportsman, etc, etc.

Online play has its place, but I wouldn't spend a dime on it (not anymore)
nor bother with it anymore unless there's assurance that cheating is not
taking place and the current controls to prevent this behaviour are
inadequate.

There can be cheating OTB now just as easily.

Word of honor doesn't cut it anymore (even less online)...
those days are long gone by.

Same for OTB.

You can't trust anything over a blitz time control anymore.

Ten years ago I was in a game where around move 15 of a dragon, my opponent
gets up, takes his bag to the bathroom, comes back and plays a winning move.
Yeah, right.

Old May 10th 04, 07:47 PM
Mike Murray

On Mon, 10 May 2004 18:35:14 GMT, "Ray Gordon"
wrote:

There can be cheating OTB now just as easily.

Word of honor doesn't cut it anymore (even less online)...
those days are long gone by.

Same for OTB.

You can't trust anything over a blitz time control anymore.

Ten years ago I was in a game where around move 15 of a dragon, my opponent
gets up, takes his bag to the bathroom, comes back and plays a winning move.
Yeah, right.

Over *thirty-five* years ago, there was a Northwest tournament
instance of a player retreating to the john at an early critical
moment -- the director followed him in, jerked open the stall door,
and found the player hunched over a copy of an opening manual.
Forfeit! (At least this is the way I heard the story)