Old May 11th 04, 01:58 PM
I.J Jordan

Default Newbie in almost everything except chess

Hi All

Hope this is the correct group,but it is to do with computer chess.
I recently change from a Windows machine to a "Mac",and as everyone is aware
there are not many chess programmes for that platform,so I decided to give
"Crafty" a try

So to that end I installed X11,downloaded and installed both "fink" and "fink
commander".and then downloaded and installed both Crafty and eboard.

Both programmes run fine by themselves ie. Crafty will play a game in its
terminal(?),and I can play around with eboard but when I select "play a game
against crafty" or words to that effect it does nothing in that the pieces
will not move for example,and I can change the pieces and the board colours
so presumably that is workig fine.

I feel there must be a clue in Xboard in that when I started that it
complianed that it could not find crafty

Everything gets put where ever the default settings of Fink put them

So am I missing something simple? but I cannot work out what I must do to get
them to work together.

Any thoughts appreciated

I.J Jordan

--
Please put out "TheFire" to reply via e-mail

Old May 11th 04, 03:28 PM
Tord Kallqvist Romstad

I am not familiar with eboard, but when using xboard you do like this:

xboard -fcp /Users/IJJordan/chess-engines/crafty/crafty -fd /Users/IJJordan/chess-engines/crafty

Of course, you need to substitute /Users/IJJordan/... with the
directory where Crafty is installed on your hard disk.

--
Tord Romstad
Old May 12th 04, 12:30 AM
yves

I.J Jordan wrote:

I feel there must be a clue in Xboard in that when I started that it
complianed that it could not find crafty

Start X11
Start xterm (not the regular MacOSX terminal !!)

run the following statements from the terminal or create a script, give
it execute rights and put something alike this in it:

cd /try/xboard-4.2.6
./xboard -fd ../yveschess15v2/build -fcp "./yveschess15 xboard"

The script actually refers to my chess programm, but just replace this
with the correct crafty parameters as described in the crafty documentation.

Alternatively create a shortcut in the X11 application menu so you can
start it from the X11 interface.

I still have to find out to run an X11 application from within the
regular Mac OS X terminal.

Yves