Old December 1st 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Does anyone recognize this old chess-computer description?

I've been searching the Web, trying to identify a handheld chess
computer I had - I'd say about the early '80s - but having no luck. I
got it at a used-items store (pointed out so you know it wasn't new
when I bought it).

It was an LED model that ran on a 9-volt battery, and came with a
separate chess set, with the metal, algebraic-notation board on the
outside of a fold-up wooden box to store the magnetic pieces in. I
still have the board and pieces, but the only non-game-related marking
on the board, of any kind, is a "Made in Taiwan" sticker. :-/

The computer was about 6-7" high and 4" wide, with a display made up
of 7-segment red LEDs, and had a touchpad that was more like thick
aluminum foil than a sheet of metal; the foil was held in place by the
front of the unit, through which there were holes for you to press the
foil to enter data. When you typed in your move, the LED segments of
each digit lit up as the computer figured its move (all the top
segments lit, then all the upper-right segments, etc.).

I know it's trivial, but it's driving me nuts. See, I've been trying
to find a good handheld chess computer, but I've had problems seeing,
and/or making out, the pieces on some of the LCD screens, and so I got
to thinking of going back to using a physical board, and getting a
handheld that includes an alphanumeric display of its move. That got
me to thinking of that old 9-volt computer, and nostalgia set me to
trying to find mention of it online. Having had no luck, I now throw
it open to you all. Of course, if you can suggest a decent, modern
handheld with an alphanumeric display and/or easy-to-read screen, I'd
happily take that, too. Thanks, all.

"Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person
is essential to your own."
--Robert A. Heinlein
Old December 4th 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

It sounds vaguely like one of the old SCISYS handhelds, except for the
wooden box part...

Have you checked Ismenio's chess computer collection links?

http://www.ismenio.com/chess_collection.html

TrekNoid