Old May 17th 04, 01:07 AM
Bob Newell

Default Best small DOS program

Seriously - could anyone recommend what they feel is the best small
chess playing program that runs under good old MS-DOS? By "small" I
mean that the program and all necessary files can be contained in a zip
archive of roughly 1 MB.

Why? I want to build a bootable floppy that is for chess and chess alone.
Something that can be carried around and used anywhere. (I've done a
number of these for various applications.)

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Old May 17th 04, 08:47 AM
S.Matthieu

Bob Newell a écrit :

Seriously - could anyone recommend what they feel is the best small
chess playing program that runs under good old MS-DOS? By "small" I
mean that the program and all necessary files can be contained in a zip
archive of roughly 1 MB.

Why? I want to build a bootable floppy that is for chess and chess alone.
Something that can be carried around and used anywhere. (I've done a
number of these for various applications.)

Any suggestions much appreciated.

http://www.gambitchess.com/progr.htm

ChessGenius 3 for Dos
Old May 17th 04, 02:34 PM
Netsock

I had a chess program called Psion Chess.

It had a 3d screen, and ran under DOS on my 8088.

It was pretty strong, and would fit on a DD 720kb floppy.

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/

Old May 17th 04, 04:45 PM
WebWalker

Why limit yourself to small space size floppy disk?
You can create a chess programs CD that you can carry around and play in
most of the modern computer (with CD-ROM drive).

--
WebWalker

PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279
Old May 18th 04, 02:32 PM
Arash Salarian

"WebWalker" wrote in message
Why limit yourself to small space size floppy disk?
You can create a chess programs CD that you can carry around and play in
most of the modern computer (with CD-ROM drive).

Why not simply a USB Flash disk? Much smaller, far more robust (no scraching
problems). Virtually any computer has a USB port and they are really cheap
for 64MB or 128MB versions. Many good chess programs would fit in 64MB so no
need for the limited space of the floppy and (relatively) big size of a CD.

Old May 19th 04, 03:21 PM
Bob Newell

Thanks to all who responded to my question about small, DOS chess programs
to put on a bootable floppy. I tracked down some of these and tried them out
and here are some final comments.

1. The idea of a bootable CD to contain larger programs is not at all
a bad one. My purpose with a bootable floppy, though, is to be able to run
almost anywhere, such as the old Gateway 486 Handbook that I leave in
another city to use on visits. And, a writable medium for saved games is
important (although perhaps an unclosed CD-RW might serve that purpose,
on machines that have CD writers).

2. Sargon V, which is now *quite* hard to find (there are some defective
copies out there but a working one was a challenge) seems to be really
good, I'd say the best of the lot. It's compact, relatively fast and
relatively strong, with a decent enough opening book. A lot of value in
a 400k zip file.

3. ChessGenius 3 for DOS is nice.

4. Chess Tiger is OK.

5. The rest trail by some margin. Rebel is excellent but doesn't fit on
a floppy. I have yet to get hold of Fritz 3 (but I haven't tried very
hard either).

While modern up-to-date programs are surely a fair deal stronger, with
more example games and features, and better and more current opening
books, this little exercise showed me once again that some of the older,
smaller, and simpler programs provided, and still provide, tremendous
value and playing ability. I think Sargon V, for the average woodpusher
such as I, provides quite the worthy opponent.