Old May 18th 04, 08:23 PM
TruthXayer

Default PALM vs Pocket PC

Hi,
I am looking to buy a palm or pocketpc (one of the main criteria is chess).
The questions I have a

1. Is there software downloadable to go with it? Any evaluations/website
with differences/sw list/etc? Engines/Databases/Tactics/Training
programs? etc?
2. Are there any freeware available at all?(iam already spending 200$ on the
pda) ?

Apreciate pointers/help/advice.

thanks,
Old May 18th 04, 11:53 PM
Robert Pawlak

You can start here for commercial offerings:

www.chessreviews.com

There is freeware available, do a google search.

Bob Pawlak (remove 1et.tw to e-mail)
Chess Assistance
http://www.chessassistance.com
Chess Reviews
http://www.chessreviews.com

Old May 19th 04, 10:55 PM
PO

I recently got a palm ZIRE the little 2 meg one...

Downloaded tigerchess from web site ... and still trying to beat this guy on
lunch breaks ... nice play for a slow machine.

Here 1 sub link:
http://software.palmone.com/Platform...=1&title=Chess

om...

Old May 20th 04, 01:23 PM
henri Arsenault

In article , "PO" [email protected]
wrote:

I recently got a palm ZIRE the little 2 meg one...

Downloaded tigerchess from web site ... and still trying to beat this guy on
lunch breaks ... nice play for a slow machine.

Chessgenius is about 4 times faster than Chess Tiger on the Zire 71
using the ARM processor (but not the Zire 21). Tiger has a slightly
better interface.

Tiger is a lot faster and stronger on a pocket PC because of the
processor speed. But even on a slower Palm both programs at full
strength have ratings of over 2000, and can beat 99% of chess players
(they can be made to play weaker).

Henri
Old May 20th 04, 05:01 PM
Charley Moore

Tiger is a lot faster and stronger on a pocket PC because of the
processor speed. But even on a slower Palm both programs at full
strength have ratings of over 2000, and can beat 99% of chess players
(they can be made to play weaker).

Henri

I was not aware that Tiger was available for Pocket PC?

Regards Charley

Old May 24th 04, 06:14 PM
Jo Steinschuld

Me too.
Where to buy?

Sincerely,
Jo

"Charley Moore" m schrieb
im Newsbeitrag ...

Old May 24th 04, 08:19 PM
TruthXayer

Hi All,

Thanks for the excellent advice. I bought a Palm Zire72(71 was out of stock).
Tried out trial versions of many programs at chessreviews.com.

Have narrowed the choice down to 2:
Pocket chess pros:
* Pocket chess has kool interface companion with windows
* 300 additional programs

Chessgenius
* seems to be better user interface(i like it more) seems faster
* Maybe stronger engine but dont really care if engine is 2000 or 2500
* Can download positions in pgn, so can still do tactics onc ei find the
right place to download stuff.

Any preferences stuff I ahve missed in these? Experiences of these two software?
Inclined to go with chessgenius but for the 300 additional problems in pocketchess?

1. ChessGenius
2. PocketChess Deluxe