Old May 20th 04, 01:39 PM
newman

Default Majestic Chess?

I have been tempted to buy this program because it looks very
attractive. However I am afraid that this is something designed for
patzers. Could anyone comment on whether this program would be
worthwhile for anyone who is class B and above?
Old May 20th 04, 10:29 PM
Michael Byrne

(newman) wrote in message . com...
I have been tempted to buy this program because it looks very
attractive. However I am afraid that this is something designed for
patzers. Could anyone comment on whether this program would be
worthwhile for anyone who is class B and above?

It may not be as strong as some other programs, but you can be assured
on any modern computer it will be way above patzer. I bought it on
the idea that it came with a winboard engine, but I never heard ever
got it working outside the Majestic GUI.

The engine is a derivative of WChess. Wchess was at one time near the
top of the PC engines - finishing with a strong score in the 1994
Aegon toutnament I believed. Dave Kittinger , the engine author, is
well known in chess computer programming circles. He is also the
engine author of Novag's Star Diamond and Star Sapphire - they are the
strongest dedicated machines in production today.

His programs tend to play very aggressive and do well on these
minature processors used in dedicated machines.

I ended up selling my copy on Ebay for about $10 because I prefer the
other GUIs like Arena, Winboard, or Chess Partner better. They have
more flexibility (ability to run many different engines) and have nice
clean visuals. With Majestic you either play Wchess in the Majestic
GUI or you don't play at all.

Majestic does require the Cd for security toplay , so once you do sell
the CD, the progam in no longer operable.