Old May 21st 04, 03:26 AM
Sidney

Default Looking for strong players against weak players (compared to them)

Hi.

I'm looking for Grandmaster games against weaker players, people who are several
classes below them.

Do you know where I can get some good Kasparov vs. Club level matches at?
Anywhere from 1500-2000 I suppose would be good. I think I might be able to
understand problems more during games if I can see a huge gap between players,
and take a look at what mistakes they make against tougher opponents.

Thanks.

Old May 21st 04, 04:01 AM
David Bohm

There is a good book called Chess Master vs Chess Amateur that explains this
concept. I believe it was 25 analyzed games where a master played an
amateur and what the master did to take advantage of weak play be the
amateur. I read it a long time ago and gained almost 200 rating points in
the next year after reading this book.

David Bohm

Old May 21st 04, 08:44 AM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na Sidney ha escrit:
Hi.

I'm looking for Grandmaster games against weaker players, people who are several
classes below them.

Do you know where I can get some good Kasparov vs. Club level matches at?
Anywhere from 1500-2000 I suppose would be good. I think I might be able to
understand problems more during games if I can see a huge gap between players,
and take a look at what mistakes they make against tougher opponents.

Thanks.

An option is to look for first round in a lot of open tournaments

But most part of those games are decided by tactical blunders of weak
players, ... For example, here you have two games:

[Event "VI Open del Sant Martí"]
[Site "Barcelona"]
[Date "2004.04.17"]
[Round "1.1"]
[White "Munoz (TPE), Miguel"]
[Black "Pinero (COL), Hector"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "C07"]
[WhiteElo "2480"]
[BlackElo "1885"]
[PlyCount "45"]
[EventDate "2004.04.28"]

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nd2 c5 4. Ngf3 Nc6 5. Bb5 Bd7 6. exd5 exd5 7. O-O
Bd6 8.c4 Nf6 9. cxd5 Nxd5 10. dxc5 Be7 11. Ne4 Nc7 12. Bxc6 Bxc6 13.Nd6+
Bxd6 14.cxd6 Bxf3 15. Qxf3 Qxd6 16. Bf4 Qb6 17. Bxc7 Qxc7 18. Rfe1+ Kf8
19. Qa3+ Kg8 20. Qxa7 Qc8 21. Rac1 Qb8 22. Qxb8+ Rxb8 23. Rc7 1-0

[Event "XII Obert Badalona"]
[Site "Badalona"]
[Date "2004.04.25"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Fluvia, Joan"]
[Black "Lopez, JC."]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "B40"]
[WhiteElo "2450"]
[BlackElo "2038"]
[PlyCount "55"]
[EventDate "2004.04.??"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 Bb4 6. e5 Nd5 7. Qg4
Kf8 8. Bd2 d6 9. exd6 e5 10. Nf5 Bxf5 11. Qxf5 Nxc3 12. Bc4 Qd7 13. Qxd7
Nxd7 14. Bxc3 Bxc3+ 15. bxc3 Nb6 16. Bb3 Rd8 17. O-O-O Nc8 18. Rd5 Rxd6
19. Rhd1 Rxd5 20. Rxd5 Ke7 21. Rxe5+ Kd6 22. Rd5+ Kc7 23. Rc5+ Kd6
24.Rb5 Kc7 25. Bxf7 Nd6 26. Re5 Rf8 27. Bd5 Nc8 28. Bf3 1-0

AT

Old May 21st 04, 01:29 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na Antonio Torrecillas ha escrit:

En/na Sidney ha escrit:

Hi.

I'm looking for Grandmaster games against weaker players, people who
are several classes below them.

Do you know where I can get some good Kasparov vs. Club level matches at?
Anywhere from 1500-2000 I suppose would be good. I think I might be
able to understand problems more during games if I can see a huge
gap between players,
and take a look at what mistakes they make against tougher opponents.

Thanks.

An option is to look for first round in a lot of open tournaments

But most part of those games are decided by tactical blunders of weak
players, ...

Here a more instructive example:
I think that changing colors argentinian excellent player Fernando
Peralta would have won with black continuing from final position.

[Event "Absolut Catalunya"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2004.04.04"]
[Round "1.1"]
[White "Peralta, Fernando"]
[Black "Arias Velasco, Josep"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "A10"]
[WhiteElo "2509"]
[BlackElo "1932"]
[PlyCount "29"]
[EventDate "2004.??.??"]

1. Nf3 f5 2. g3 Nf6 3. c4 e6 4. Bg2 d5 5. O-O c6 6. Nc3 Bd6 7. d3 O-O
8.e4 d4 9. e5 dxc3 10. bxc3 Bc7 11. exf6 Qxf6 12. d4 e5 13. dxe5 Bxe5
14.Bg5 Qg6 15.Be7 1-0

Maybe an interestig approach is to try to find games between a player
with our rating and another one 200-300 point higher.
For example for a 2100 player - games 2100 vs 2300 or 2400
or for a 1900 player - games 1900 vs 2100 or 2200

AT

Old May 21st 04, 01:44 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na Sidney ha escrit:

Hi.

I'm looking for Grandmaster games against weaker players, people who are several
classes below them.

Do you know where I can get some good Kasparov vs. Club level matches at?
Anywhere from 1500-2000 I suppose would be good. I think I might be able to
understand problems more during games if I can see a huge gap between players,
and take a look at what mistakes they make against tougher opponents.

Thanks.

Another idea about this subject is that some games from some "books with
games Master-Amateur" are not really played by an amateur but for a
master who had a bad day or simply a master weaker than his opponent.

AT

Old May 21st 04, 04:09 PM
Matt Nemmers

"Sidney" wrote in message
Hi.

I'm looking for Grandmaster games against weaker players, people who are

several
classes below them.

Do you know where I can get some good Kasparov vs. Club level matches at?
Anywhere from 1500-2000 I suppose would be good. I think I might be able

understand problems more during games if I can see a huge gap between

players,
and take a look at what mistakes they make against tougher opponents.

Thanks.

I've found "The Amateur's Mind" by IM Jeremy Silman to be an excellent book.
May not be exactly what you're looking for, but it outlines the differences
in thought-process between stronger and weaker players pretty effectively.

Regards,

Matt

Old May 22nd 04, 12:21 AM
Sidney

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I'm looking into some of these books
mentioned.

One more thing I've been wondering about, can you really notice a difference
between a 2800 rated player beating a 1600 player as opposed to a 2400 rated
player doing it? I thought maybe since the gap is so wide, it could look like
the same beating.

"Matt Nemmers" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s03...

Old May 22nd 04, 04:09 AM
Luis Matos

Matt Nemmers wrote:

I've found "The Amateur's Mind" by IM Jeremy Silman to be an excellent book.
May not be exactly what you're looking for, but it outlines the differences
in thought-process between stronger and weaker players pretty effectively.

Regards,

Matt

I think that for us, chess amateurs, players under 2000, is very
dificult to think like a grandmaster.

It is very dificult for us to make comments on GMs games with extensive
analysis.

And, I think that that is equally valid for GMs.
I think that it is equally very dificult for a GMs to think in a game
like us.

So.. that's why I don't recommend IM Silman book on "The Amateur Mind"
He can't think for us
He does not understand us. What is simple for him may be very hard for us.

best regards
Luis

Old May 22nd 04, 10:29 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na Luis Matos ha escrit:

Matt Nemmers wrote:
I've found "The Amateur's Mind" by IM Jeremy Silman to be an excellent
book.
May not be exactly what you're looking for, but it outlines the
differences in thought-process between stronger
and weaker players pretty effectively.

(..)
And, I think that that is equally valid for GMs.
I think that it is equally very dificult for a GMs to think in a game
like us.

So.. that's why I don't recommend IM Silman book on "The Amateur Mind"
He can't think for us
He does not understand us. What is simple for him may be very hard for us.

best regards
Luis

Luis, sure that there are strong players with no pedagogical skills, ...
but there are also strong players with great pedagogical skills.

That situation occurs too in mathematics, physics, ...

AT