Old May 23rd 04, 08:23 PM
Richard Hargreaves

Default chessmaster 9000

Can I download it any where on the Net if so can you lett me where
Richard

Old May 23rd 04, 09:59 PM
Juha Kettunen

"Richard Hargreaves" wrote in message
Can I download it any where on the Net if so can you lett me where
Richard

why not buy it?

Old May 24th 04, 06:33 PM
John Merlino

"Richard Hargreaves" wrote in message ...
Can I download it any where on the Net if so can you lett me where
Richard

No, the program is not available via download. You have to buy the
full retail version.

jm
Old May 24th 04, 06:54 PM
tt

No, the program is not available via download. You have to buy the full
retail version.
jm

Buahahahahaha, whgat a joke !!!

Old May 24th 04, 11:46 PM
John Merlino

"tt" wrote in message ...
No, the program is not available via download. You have to buy the full
retail version.
jm

Buahahahahaha, whgat a joke !!!

Fine, I'll restate my answer for those who may have needed the obvious
subtext.

For law-abiding citizens who don't mind spending their hard-earned
cash on a product that gives you more for your money than any other
chess program, the program is unfortunately not available via download
-- only by purchasing the full retail version.

For criminals and those who truly don't have $15-20 to spare but must
have Chessmaster 9000 at all costs, and who don't mind a 1.2GB
download, the program is available via other methods.

jm

Old May 25th 04, 08:55 AM
S.Matthieu

For criminals and those who truly don't have $15-20 to spare but must
have Chessmaster 9000 at all costs, and who don't mind a 1.2GB
download, the program is available via other methods.

jm

....for those who don't have 15$ but have DSL connection, high-end
computer, gigantic hard-drive (..donkey loves Gb)...

Old June 14th 04, 01:59 PM
Dr. David Kirkby

(John Merlino) wrote in message . com...
"tt" wrote in message ...
No, the program is not available via download. You have to buy the full
retail version.
jm

Buahahahahaha, whgat a joke !!!

Fine, I'll restate my answer for those who may have needed the obvious
subtext.

For law-abiding citizens who don't mind spending their hard-earned
cash on a product that gives you more for your money than any other
chess program, the program is unfortunately not available via download
-- only by purchasing the full retail version.

I'm very much against copy-protected software, as it so *often*
creates hassles when trying to use legally owned software.

Dongles get lost, software based on a unique signiture of the computer
fail to run if you update. Getting legally owned software to run on a
new machine can be a time consuming process.

Despite the fact I would consider myself computer literate, I once
spent 10 hours trying to install Matlab on a Sun Ultra 80 UNIX
workstation. That was related to the copy protection system used.
After a lot of detective work, I found a reference to the problem on a
Japanese web site. The software needed some hack, which Matlab's
producers (Mathworks) said was "due to a bug in Sun's Solaris 9" but
which Sun claim in an "enhancement to Solaris, and bad programming on
the part of Mathworks".

The copy protection system used on Matlab (the now non-existant
FlexLM) is so complex that 'Globetrotter' now Macrovision
http://www.macrovision.com/
used to run a week long course on how to use it. Clearly this was not
needed for a single machine, but it gives you an idea of the
complexity of it.

So my experience of copy protection systems, over many years (I'm 40)
has not been good.

But I decided to buy Chessmaster 9000, as it was cheap. However, it is
the only Windoze program I've been unable to install on my PC.

I have installed Windoze XP on it, Microsoft Office, scid for Windows,
xboard, crafty, blitzin and so on. None of these are copy protected
(the Office is a corporate version, which I can legally use. It
requires no regisration code). All this software works fine, but not
Chessmaster 9000.

My normal PC is a bit untypical I would admit. Basically it is a quad
processor Sun Ultra 80 workstation, fitted with a PCI card that
contains all the components of a normal PC (Intel CPU, 1 GB ram etc).
It's the previous generation of this PCI card:

http://www.sun.com/desktop/products/sunpci/

What the PCI card does not contain is connector for a CD drive.
Instead the PC uses the Sun's CD-ROM drive, which is a perfectly
standard Plextor CD-RW drive.

I can't even install Chessmater 9000. The Chessmaster installation
starts to run from the CD drive, then asks me to insert the CD. But
the CD is already in the drive, as the installation is running from
it!! So how can I insert a CD, when the CD is in the drive?

I guess I could ask the software producer if there is a work-around.
Perhaps I'll do that, as I would like to run the software. I must
admit to not having looked around the web much, but have asked without
success on this newsgroup before.

I'm not sure what copy protection achieves really. If you are
determined to get around it, you will. I think in a corporate
enviroment in Europe and the USA, piracy has all be ceased. For home
comptuers this is probably not so, but generally there are as you say
plenty of sites with hacks.

BTW, there are hacks readily available on the web, that avoid you to
have the CD for chessmaster 9000 in the drive. But they do not help
me, as I can't even install it.

No doubt with a lot of effort I could get it installed. But should I
really have to, on software I legally own?

Dr. David Kirkby
Old June 14th 04, 08:47 PM
John Merlino

"tt" wrote in message ...
[...]

Chessmaster 9000's installation program is protected using
Macrovision's SafeDisc. Therefore, it is this copy protection scheme
that is failing to recognize your (particularly) non-standard
hardware. I suggest contacting Macrovision's Tech Support to see if
there is some workaround there. I doubt that Ubi Soft's Tech Support
will be able to help you, but you should try them as well.

And if you think that "piracy has all but ceased" in corporate
environments, you are very wrong. Every day there are thousands of new
employees (usually at smaller companies) that are given the software
that they need without the company having the license to install it on
"another machine".

Usually, this is justified by "we'll buy the license soon", but
somehow it just gets forgotten -- can't imagine why....

jm
Old June 15th 04, 12:50 PM
Dr. David Kirkby

(John Merlino) wrote in message

No doubt with a lot of effort I could get it installed. But should I
really have to, on software I legally own?

Dr. David Kirkby

Chessmaster 9000's installation program is protected using
Macrovision's SafeDisc. Therefore, it is this copy protection scheme
that is failing to recognize your (particularly) non-standard
hardware. I suggest contacting Macrovision's Tech Support to see if
there is some workaround there.

My point about copy protection being a pain.

I doubt that Ubi Soft's Tech Support
will be able to help you, but you should try them as well.

Same point - why should I go to all this hassle to use a bit of legal
software? My PC (a PCI card sitting in a Sun workstation) is not that
typical, but I would have to say

1) Chessmaster 9000 is the only program to present me problems.
2) Chessmaster 9000 is the only copy protected program I have.

It seems likely these two facts are not coincidental.

And if you think that "piracy has all but ceased" in corporate
environments, you are very wrong. Every day there are thousands of new
employees (usually at smaller companies) that are given the software
that they need without the company having the license to install it on
"another machine".

I know at Marconi (a large company I admit) where I worked, using
illegal software would result in dismisal.

Companies have to be aware that computer literate employees will
usually be aware when this is happening. It only takes one
disgruntaled employee to refer this to FAST, and/or the police. So
companies doing this, with the knowledge of their employees, are
taking a big risk. 10 years ago the culture here in the UK was very
different to now on this matter.

Dr. David Kirkby