Old December 27th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Chessmaster 10 & 11

Hello,

I received these programs as gifts. However, when I try to install them
nothing happens. No install menu comes up. When I try to use Explorer to
try to manually start those disks, it shows that they are blank. I have
a new laptop with Vista. My wife has a laptop with Windows XP and both
programs will install on her computer.

Is there a workaround for this problem, or should I just have them
returned?

Thanks,

St
Old December 28th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

ST wrote:
Hello,

I received these programs as gifts. However, when I try to install them
nothing happens. No install menu comes up. When I try to use Explorer to
try to manually start those disks, it shows that they are blank. I have
a new laptop with Vista. My wife has a laptop with Windows XP and both
programs will install on her computer.

Is there a workaround for this problem, or should I just have them
returned?

You opened them which makes any opportunity to return for refund null and
void. Further you have installed on your Wife's computer successfully. Last,
does the software state on the packaging that it is designed to be used on
Vista? I think not, so it is a crap shoot if you try (and Chessmaster has
always been behind the eight ball in a crap shoot of its own trying to keep up
with operating systems ... it took a LONG TIME for XP to even be supported).

It looks like version 11 SHOULD support Vista:

Supported OS:
Windows Vista & Windows XP (only)

Having said that, did you try navigating to the drive and simply running
setup? It is very possible you set software to not prompt you to install when
inserted in a drive, as that is the first question it asks you when you first
try to install software.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

People tend to make rules for others and exceptions for themselves.
Old December 30th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Thanks for the reply.

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
ST wrote:
Hello,

I received these programs as gifts. However, when I try to install them
nothing happens. No install menu comes up. When I try to use Explorer to
try to manually start those disks, it shows that they are blank. I have
a new laptop with Vista. My wife has a laptop with Windows XP and both
programs will install on her computer.

Is there a workaround for this problem, or should I just have them
returned?

You opened them which makes any opportunity to return for refund null and
void.

Probably true.

Further you have installed on your Wife's computer successfully.

I didn't actually install either program on her computer. My computer
is set to automatically run any CD that I put it; however, neither
of these disks started their install programs. Also, when I tried to
use Explorer or PowerDesk to view the disks' contents, both programs
read them as blank CDs and asked if I wanted to format them?!
I put the CM 11 disk in my wife's computer just to see if the
disk could be read, and low and behold the 'Install' menu came up.
I just closed it out after finding out that the disk was not the
problem

Last,
does the software state on the packaging that it is designed to be used on
Vista? I think not, so it is a crap shoot if you try (and Chessmaster has
always been behind the eight ball in a crap shoot of its own trying to keep up
with operating systems ... it took a LONG TIME for XP to even be supported).

It looks like version 11 SHOULD support Vista:

Supported OS:
Windows Vista & Windows XP (only)

Having said that, did you try navigating to the drive and simply running
setup? It is very possible you set software to not prompt you to install when
inserted in a drive, as that is the first question it asks you when you first
try to install software.

In fact I did just that, and I was able to install them both despite CM
10 not being approved for Vista. So, for now all is well.

Thanks again,

ST