Old December 28th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default CB products under Linux

After giving Windows Vista a try I am thinking of migrating my work computer
to Linux. I also have quite a large investment in ChessBase products. Does
anyone have any experience with Chessbase products running under a windows
emulator on Linux?

How about open source databases like SCID? If I decide to get rid of CB, can
I use my Rybka engine with SCID? Anyone have experience w/ open-source
databases and engines under Linux?

Thanks!

Angelo DePalma

Old December 28th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Angelo DePalma a écrit :

After giving Windows Vista a try I am thinking of migrating my work
computer to Linux. I also have quite a large investment in ChessBase
products. Does anyone have any experience with Chessbase products
running under a windows emulator on Linux?

How about open source databases like SCID? If I decide to get rid of CB,
can I use my Rybka engine with SCID? Anyone have experience w/
open-source databases and engines under Linux?

Thanks!

Angelo DePalma

Under linux chess it is not perfect, i advice you to use virtualbox.
But, as directX does not work under linux you won't manage to play chess
with chessbase products.

good luck
Old December 29th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Angelo DePalma a écrit :

After giving Windows Vista a try I am thinking of migrating my work
computer to Linux. I also have quite a large investment in ChessBase
products. Does anyone have any experience with Chessbase products
running under a windows emulator on Linux?

How about open source databases like SCID? If I decide to get rid of CB,
can I use my Rybka engine with SCID? Anyone have experience w/
open-source databases and engines under Linux?

Yes, you can use Rybka with Scid. The trick is to enter "wine" as
command and Rybka as parameter, as Rybka is a Windows program. Also note
that you will have to use a modified version of Scid available at
http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/ because original Scid at scid.sf.net does
not support UCI engines.

Things you can't do under Linux : use CB multimedia system and play on
internet with Playchess.com. Also be aware that if you entered marks in
games (like arrows or colored squares), those can't be exported from CB
and imported into any chess program I am aware of, among them is Scid.

For the rest, you will get equivalent features under Linux. If you miss
some features, you can always use vmware under Linux, which is now a
free product.

Pascal
Old January 2nd 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Why don't you use Vista?

I got Fritz 8 to work (with the use of Wine and a copy of a Windows
installation of Fritz 8) in Ubuntu, But only in a frame and it did not look
as good as in Windows. And you can use José as a database program for Linux.
But your other chessbase products won't work.

I used Ubuntu and SuSe for a while but got a lot of problems with my Nvidia
video card.

Now I use Vista and XP as a dual boot, so I can use my beloved chess
software.

Perhaps a dual boot of Windows and Linux is a good idea!

"Angelo DePalma" schreef in bericht
news