Old January 3rd 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Can I make GNU Chess/Winboard an easier opponent?

I have downloaded Winboard from the links on Tim Mann's Chess Pages
for Windows XP. By default WinBoard is set to use GNU Chess 5 when
playing the computer. That's great, but is there a way to reduce the
strength of the computer to beginner or patzer level?

From the Winboard Startup dialog I can supply additional command line
paramaters to the engine. Looking at the documentation for GNU Chess -
easy and -rating look applicable. Rating requires two integers, are
these ELO scores? If so, how can I find out the appropriate ELO
scores. I have access to Fritz-9 if that would help?

Many thanks,

Duncan
Old January 3rd 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Duncan Smith wrote:
From the Winboard Startup dialog I can supply additional command
line paramaters to the engine. Looking at the documentation for GNU
Chess - easy and -rating look applicable. Rating requires two
integers, are these ELO scores?

The manual just says that the rating command `inputs the estimated
rating for computer and for its opponent.' I've no idea what that's
supposed to mean; it's not even clear whether it affects the engine's
behaviour -- it might just set the BlackElo and WhiteElo fields in the
PGN file.

If so, how can I find out the appropriate ELO scores.

Assuming it really does control the engine's strength (which I doubt
-- why would it want to know your rating?), you could just guess.

I have access to Fritz-9 if that would help?

Why not adjust Fritz's strength and play against a dumbed-down Fritz
instead of a dumbed-down GNU Chess?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Perforated Dangerous Vomit (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a pile of puke but it could
Old January 3rd 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Why not adjust Fritz's strength and play against a dumbed-down Fritz
instead of a dumbed-down GNU Chess?

I do, at home. But I'm looking for FOSS solution that I can play at
lunchtimes at work (can't install commercial software). I would've
thought setting the level from beginner, to intermediate to advanced
would've been a common feature for a chess engine. Anyone know of a
free engine on which I can set the ability level (and pref. use with
WinBoard)?

Many thanks,

Duncan
Old January 3rd 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:44:51 -0800 (PST), Duncan Smith
wrote:

Why not adjust Fritz's strength and play against a dumbed-down Fritz
instead of a dumbed-down GNU Chess?

I do, at home. But I'm looking for FOSS solution that I can play at
lunchtimes at work (can't install commercial software). I would've
thought setting the level from beginner, to intermediate to advanced
would've been a common feature for a chess engine. Anyone know of a
free engine on which I can set the ability level (and pref. use with
WinBoard)?

Many thanks,

Duncan

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl has links to hundreds of different Winboard
engines, of varying strengths. There's a rating list on that page
that gives you an idea of the strength of an engine, relative to GNU
Chess. I've found that weaker Winboard engines seem to play more
realistically than a dumbed-down version of a strong engine.

Tony
Old January 3rd 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Duncan Smith a écrit :

I do, at home. But I'm looking for FOSS solution that I can play at
lunchtimes at work (can't install commercial software). I would've
thought setting the level from beginner, to intermediate to advanced
would've been a common feature for a chess engine. Anyone know of a
free engine on which I can set the ability level (and pref. use with
WinBoard)?

The best engine for this is Phalanx. You have a command line option (-e)
that goes from 0 (hardest) to 100 (easiest).

Pascal

Old January 3rd 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

The best engine for this is Phalanx. You have a command line option (-e)
that goes from 0 (hardest) to 100 (easiest).

Thanks guys, I'll give them a go tomorrow...

Duncan

Old January 9th 08, 09:54 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

http://www.sjeng.org/indexold.html

--
At the end of the money I always have some month left.
Old January 25th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Try www.shredderchess.com