Old January 3rd 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Scid 3.6.21 released (chess database)

Hi,

I released a new version of Scid (3.6.21) at http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/

For those interested, modifications since latest release are available
under the 'release notes' paragraph, which is a bit long.

Scid still depends on Tcl/Tk 8.4 to avoid compatibility issues on Linux,
but Scid Pocket has been ported to latest Tcl/Tk 8.5, so please upgrade
eTcl to latest version before running it on a Pocket PC (see
installation instructions at http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/PPC.html).

Pascal
Old January 4th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Pascal wrote:
Hi,

I released a new version of Scid (3.6.21) at invalid url

Pascal ... I just went to the SCID website; http://scid.sourceforge.net/ and I
do not see it there.

What gives?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

America is the country where you buy a lifetime
supply of aspirin for one dollar, and use it up in two weeks.

Old January 4th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
Pascal wrote:
I released a new version of Scid (3.6.21) at invalid url

It's not an invalid URL: it is syntactically correct and points to a
document. Works just fine for me.

Pascal ... I just went to the SCID website;
http://scid.sourceforge.net/ and I do not see it there.

What gives?

Oh, for crying out loud. Do we *have* to go through this dance
*every* time Pascal releases a new version of his Scid-thing?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Beefy Dictator (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ totalitarian leader that's made from
Old January 4th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

David Richerby wrote:

It's not an invalid URL: it is syntactically correct and points to a
document. Works just fine for me.

Pascal ... I just went to the SCID website;
http://scid.sourceforge.net/ and I do not see it there.

What gives?

Oh, for crying out loud. Do we *have* to go through this dance
*every* time Pascal releases a new version of his Scid-thing?

Does he have to post it here?

Old January 5th 08, 12:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
David Richerby wrote:
Oh, for crying out loud. Do we *have* to go through this dance
*every* time Pascal releases a new version of his Scid-thing?

Does he have to post it here?

Why shouldn't he? It's a new version of a piece of computer chess
software. Perfectly on-topic. If you don't like it, killfile him.
If your newsreader doesn't support killfiling, get yourself a real
newsreader.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Aquatic Accelerated Painting (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a Renaissance masterpiece

Old January 7th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

David Richerby wrote:
Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
David Richerby wrote:
Oh, for crying out loud. Do we *have* to go through this dance
*every* time Pascal releases a new version of his Scid-thing?

Does he have to post it here?

Why shouldn't he? It's a new version of a piece of computer chess
software. Perfectly on-topic. If you don't like it, killfile him.
If your newsreader doesn't support killfiling, get yourself a real
newsreader.

Same goes for YOU and MY post. I, and several others, are not very fond of
Pascal's hijacking of the SCID name and calling it his own.

Old January 28th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Is there a version of SCID for Mac OS X?

I am interested in evaluating the best King vs King Draw games, or
what "I" refer to as "perfect games," as a means of trimming the
opening database and thus increasing the speed and quality of
evaluation in early game play. In this manner I hope to enable a
single-processor computer (like my iBook G4) to compete with the big
boys.

What would be the best way for me to obtain a database of the greatest
games that end in "only" King vs King Draws in PGN format? At the
moment I can not afford to purchase a full complete database of ALL
games. Is such a database available online where I can retrieve such
a limited result?

Thanks!

Old January 29th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

pialogue a écrit :
Is there a version of SCID for Mac OS X?

This *should* compile (maybe with a few tweaks), but only a Mac owner
could release a binary version and check that the Makefiles are ok.

I am interested in evaluating the best King vs King Draw games, or
what "I" refer to as "perfect games," as a means of trimming the
opening database and thus increasing the speed and quality of
evaluation in early game play. In this manner I hope to enable a
single-processor computer (like my iBook G4) to compete with the big
boys.

What would be the best way for me to obtain a database of the greatest
games that end in "only" King vs King Draws in PGN format? At the
moment I can not afford to purchase a full complete database of ALL
games. Is such a database available online where I can retrieve such
a limited result?

I don't understand exactly what you're looking for, but you can get PGN
bases with lot of games from many sites, and filter them with menu
Search-Material/Pattern and Search-Header.
So for example if you want to get all games with a result = draw and
with only Kings left (weird ... because this means players did not agree
for a draw before this stage, hence maybe a bit weak !?), you can
combine the two filters, rather easily.

Pascal