Old January 6th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Default Mig Greengard has been nominated for deletion on Wikipedia

Sam,

I have seen a number of your postings about disagreements with the
Wikipedia people. This is understandable to me as they try to cover a
very broad range which necessarily means that they have to limit the
depth in any particular area.

However there is an obvious answer. Create a chess history Wiki
yourself, or with collaborators. It could have a companion Chess Theory
Wiki as well. To my knowledge, the software is free. I am surprised
this hasn't already been done. If we had a respectable, functional
USCF, this would be an excellent and appropriate project for them to pursue.

I see there is a limited Chess Wiki in Malaysia at:
http://wiki.gilachess.com/

There is a Chess Variants Wiki at: http://chessvariants.wikidot.com/

There appear to be several other minor efforts at chess wikis. So,
there is an open opportunity for a more comprehensive approach to a
Chess Wiki. Will anyone go for it?
--

Cordially,
Rev. J.D. Walker, MsD, U.C.

"By the way, where is the Promised Analysis of the Mottershead
Report?"

samsloan wrote:
Mig Greengard has been nominated for deletion on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mig_Greengard

Mig Greengard is definitely one of my favorite people. However, he
easily meets the standards of notability set for inclusion on
Wikipedia. Among many other things, he was director of the New York
Office of the Kasparov Chess Foundation and recently he was awarded
"Chess Journalist of the Year" by the Chess Journalists Association.

Being nominated for deletion is a matter of serious concern.

In March, 2006, Paul Rubin, who posts on Wikipedia as "Phr", deleted
my biographies of Ali Nihat Yazici, Julio Cesar Ingolotti, Panupand
Vijjuprabha, and Geoffrey Borg. I doubt that Paul Rubin even knew who
these people are. They are the most important chess officials in their
respective countries. Thus, they are easily qualified to be listed on
Wikipedia. In addition, the USCF had nominated these four people as
candidates for election to the FIDE Board, Paul Rubin is an anti-USCF
person, which perhaps explains why he nominated them for deletion.

After I got these four biographies reinstated, Louis Blair wrote
letters to 19 known anti-chess and anti-Sam Sloan administrators
asking them to reinstate the removals of Ali Nihat Yazici, Julio Cesar
Ingolotti, Panupand Vijjuprabha and Geoffrey Borg. The result was that
one of those 19, an especially quarrelsome administrator named
User:Jzg a/k/a Guy Chapman, who spends all his time arguing with other
Wikipedia administrators:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:JzG

The result was that User:JzG did not merely delete the biographies, he
"salted the earth", meaning that biographies of these four people can
never be re-instated again.

As a result, they lost the election. User:JzG also deleted the
biography of Robert Tanner.

Since Louis Blair has been known to claim that this was not the fault,
I call upon him now to write to User:JzG and ask him to un-salt the
earth on the biographies of Julio Cesar Ingolotti, Panupand
Vijjuprabha and Geoffrey Borg.

The point is that if somebody does not go in right now and defend Mig
Greengard, It is likely that he will be the subject of "salting the
earth".